Re-decking boat question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

Re-decking boat question

I bought a 17' smokercraft, and it has a few soft spots in the floor, rather than replace the bad sections, I'm replacing all of the floor with 3/4" marine grade plywood. I was wondering what any of you treated the wood with before laying the glue and wrapping the carpet?

Thanks

Internet quotes are great, but most are untrue. "Thomas Jefferson"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 02:42 AM

Re: Re-decking boat question

I did one with wood and I painted both sides and edges with good quality primer and paint.

I did my present boat with 1/4" aluminum diamond plate. It is more expensive but it will outlast wood and it is lighter.

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 02:54 AM

I had a runabout that the floor started developing soft spots and I ripped up the old floor to see what condition the stringers were in. They seemed to be OK and wood encapsulated in fiberglass. Since all the structure seemed fine I pulled out the in floor fuel tank and added more flotation. Since the boat was open and stayed in the water for the summer I didn't want to put carpet in since the carpet on boats always seem to stay wet and will cause the floor to fail. I used 3/4 marine grade plywood to deck the floor and fiber glassed over top of that. After the fiberglass cured for a few days I picked up at the marina a floor paint that was rubber based and rough to prevent slipping. It painted on gray but was a black and white speckled when dried. I kept the boat for the kids for 5 years and the repair and paint held up the whole time.

If the stringers are soft you can repair the damage but JMO its not worth the time or risk.

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

It has aluminum stringers, and they're fine. I already have it pulled to replace deck/re-wire the whole boat, and the only big surprise was a basketball sized mouse nest beside the flotation foam.

Internet quotes are great, but most are untrue. "Thomas Jefferson"
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 07:47 PM

check you pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page