• 4 Post By Bigbrownie
  • 2 Post By Dave2pa
  • 1 Post By octagon
  • 1 Post By Run2Catch
  • 2 Post By EIGHT POINT

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2020, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

need inland lake boat info

my son has decided we need a boat to fish inland lakes around Erie. i have no idea what would be good.

this would be inland lakes, the lagoons and Presque isle bay. also need an electric motor as most inland lakes prohibit the use of gas motors. both of us are in the 220 to 240 pound range. need a motor big enough to push our big frames and troll too.

we would like to haul this on top of the car if possible and canoe are out of the question, looking for something stable. we will be buying used so obviously something with a good reputation for lasting is good.

Thank you in advance
octagon likes this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2020, 10:05 AM

Two guys.....I’d rule out a boat that you’re carry rooftop style. Those would be 12 foot, v bottoms. I had one with an 8 hp, that I trailered. It wasn’t good for an all day outing, cramped and things got iffy when the water got rough. I had it two seasons , sold it, and bought a used Lund with a 20 hp. It has a trolling motor also. You can stay out all day on it and still be able to walk to your truck when you get off the water.
bohunr, Dogface, Asajoe1 and 1 others like this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 04:32 PM

get something like 16 footer,, preferably a 20 hp .. some inland lakes have a 20 hp limit get a console ,boat with electric start,,, most of them you can mount a trolling motor on the bow ,,
don't buy something just to get by with for awhile,,,,,,,,,, ,shop around and get the one you want ,, they pop up on craigslist but when you do find one you cant wait to go look at it , boats like that go quick
bohunr and octagon like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2pa View Post
get something like 16 footer,, preferably a 20 hp .. some inland lakes have a 20 hp limit get a console ,boat with electric start,,, most of them you can mount a trolling motor on the bow ,,
don't buy something just to get by with for awhile,,,,,,,,,, ,shop around and get the one you want ,, they pop up on craigslist but when you do find one you cant wait to go look at it , boats like that go quick
I will 2nd this as well. 16 foot boat, 20 hp motor. I prefer semi-v jon boats as I love tri haul style boats for their stability. V hulls tend to have too much roll to them. I have fished out of many boats out of Conneaut, Ohio since a little kid and my favorites were my 2 Boston Whalers, a 13 footer and a 17 footer, both tri-hulls. A little rough in the chop, but so-so stable and take small engines well. Now, given a choice, I`d get a 16 foot, welded aluminum semi-v jon boat with a 20 hp 4 stroke engine.
bohunr likes this.

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2020, 05:55 PM

Ok. Now here's my take....

You live right near the big pond, and while its true a big boat is great for Erie a much smaller one does well for lots of recreational fishing.

I would recommend a 16 foot v bottom with a 20 hp and a bow mount electric. It is small enough to be towed by just about anything, and will perform just about anywhere. Small enough to launch at Eaton or lebouef and plenty for nearshore lake erie.

Like brownie said, any cartop boat is gonna be cramped.

Once summer comes, the bay and inland lakes get tough to fish, but the main lake smallies and walleyes are at their peak.

Another idea is to rent a boat at either chestnut street or the peninsula in the size you are considering just to get an idea of what you are truly after.

I have an 18.5 foot deep v and would be happy to take you and you son on the bay some evening to try out equipment.

Just my 2 cents on how to spend your money....

Good luck.
Brian
bohunr likes this.

Lake Effect Beagles
Remmy/Winnie/Queenie/Nellie/YooHoo/Bernice/Lucy
V.P. Presque Isle Beagle club

Last edited by Run2Catch; 04-28-2020 at 06:07 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 04:35 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Don't do this...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boat-crashes-into-ram-pickup.jpg (270.9 KB, 7 views)
bohunr and octagon like this.

LIVE TO HUNT - HUNT TO LIVE
TAKE A CHILD HUNTING AND PRESERVE THE SPORT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page