Boat Trailers?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Boat Trailers??

I have a 10 year old galv bunker style(2,000lb single axle class) Shorelandr trailer which is starting to grow some whiskers from heavy saltwater use. Seeing a lot of PA made Load Rites so thinking of cking them out. Anyone have any preferences or experiences with them or other makes?? Thanks!!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member

Last edited by Loggy; 11-08-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 07:58 PM

I have a Load Rite Galvanized tilt roller for my 19' CC and it makes it very easy to load and unload at shallow water ramps. Replacement parts are easy to fine and there are no welds to fail, everything is bolted and can be replaced by the owner. I did not get brakes on this one since I only tow it 3 miles in to the ramp in May and 3 miles back to the house in October. It is used in salt water but I power wash it after each dunking.

For my bigger boat I have a tri-axle aluminium bunk trailer made by Platinum Trailers.
It goes a little further than the smaller trailer but not much.

I would not think twice about hauling either trailer to Florida. The whole thing is the upkeep with trailers. even the steel ones will last a long time but need attention.
Make sure you get buddy bearings for easy greasing the wheel bearings, if the trailer is sitting idle for months try and get the weight off the wheels and the weakest link on every towing experience get LED lights, they hold up better even the ones that claim to be waterproof.
I know people that have Load Rite trailers that are over 20 years old and still have a lot of life left in them.
Good Luck getting a trailer, if you are looking for a used one there are some reasonably priced ones listed on OfferUp and letgo. Even new its worth the price and ease of mind when taking the boat on trips.
Loggy likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 08:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

sounds like Birch812 gave a lot of good information to consider
Loggy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Thanks much for the info Birch! I heard that about the LR's as far as parts availability plus bolt-on parts ease of replacing. My main ramp is less than 100 yds from my place & other nearby ramps within 5 miles that I occasionally use so I don't tow too far anymore. I leave my boat in VA year round. I just had new leaf springs installed and a jack on my Shorelandr but some other components are getting near the end their usefulness.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member

Last edited by Loggy; 11-08-2019 at 08:50 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 06:38 AM

I have Load Rites under both my boats, and not a single complaint.
Loggy likes this.

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Sage

Thanks Flintlock Hunter!! When I make the plunge it will likely be a Load Rite. I put a few bucks in mine this year so thinkin I may try to squeeze another season out of it. Earlier in summer I replaced lights/harness, jack and now leaf springs. Dealer says axle looks good plus wheel bearings. I found a Load Rite dealer south of Baltimore (Daves Trailer Sales) where I can get a new LR for $900. Probably should of sprung for one earlier in season but my new Zuke sorta set me back a lil.
flintlock hunter likes this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Sage

Curious you saltwater guys do anything to protect those leaf springs from accelerated rusting?? I always rinse my trailer after dunking but seems not much help.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 03:38 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggy View Post
Curious you saltwater guys do anything to protect those leaf springs from accelerated rusting?? I always rinse my trailer after dunking but seems not much help.
Oil or WD40?

I have a 1985 Sea Lion that broke a few leaf's. It was used in salt water frequently. I bought new, stiffer leaf springs from Franklin Trailer in S. Jersey and replaced them. It was not hard.

I also have a galvanized 2002 Load Rite. I have replaced the bunks but that was all I've done to it. BTW Load Rite is in Langhorne, PA but I do not know if they sell retail out of their shop.
Loggy likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Sage

Thanks Dogface. My Shorelandr was a custom build for my Lund(package deal). Unfortunately, the leaf spring replacement required a lil more than removal of U-bolts since no springs were available in my size. Dealer thinks my trailer should give me a couple more years.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 09:54 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggy View Post
Thanks Dogface. My Shorelandr was a custom build for my Lund(package deal). Unfortunately, the leaf spring replacement required a lil more than removal of U-bolts since no springs were available in my size. Dealer thinks my trailer should give me a couple more years.
If you ever need springs again call Franklin Trailer in Berlin, NJ. They build trailers and they will have what you need or get you an alternative set up. BTW their prices are fair.
Loggy likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page