HP restricted lakes... What are you guys running - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By SlickShot
  • 1 Post By Buckskin Dave

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

HP restricted lakes... What are you guys running

I am in the market for a new to me boat. Living in meadville in northwest PA we have a mix of 9.9 lakes, 20hp lakes and ten obviously have Erie within an hour. I can't decided what I want to look for boat wise. I'm wanting more of a multispieces boat. I have looked at some 2019 basic Lund tiller boats with a 20hp such as the Lund fury 1600. Then I started think about buying a used boat with a larger motor and kicker motor. I keep going back and fourth between what I want and what lakes I will be fishing the most. So what is everyone else running out there? Any insight would be great. Also my max budget would be 15k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 10:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahunt86 View Post
I am in the market for a new to me boat. Living in meadville in northwest PA we have a mix of 9.9 lakes, 20hp lakes and ten obviously have Erie within an hour. I can't decided what I want to look for boat wise. I'm wanting more of a multispieces boat. I have looked at some 2019 basic Lund tiller boats with a 20hp such as the Lund fury 1600. Then I started think about buying a used boat with a larger motor and kicker motor. I keep going back and fourth between what I want and what lakes I will be fishing the most. So what is everyone else running out there? Any insight would be great. Also my max budget would be 15k
You can get a bigger engine and have it on the boat so long as it is tilted up and not being used is a lake with a less HP rule. You can either hang a snaller engine that would be in compliance on a motor board or get good electric motor to use.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Last edited by Woods walker; 08-02-2019 at 06:29 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 06:05 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have a Lund 1625 Classic with a 18hp Tohatsu 4 stroke. I am always mixed wherever I am as to whether engine size is perfect or too small. I really am at a point at this time where I spend more time at electric motor only lakes and unlimited areas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 06:10 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Welcome to NW PA!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 07:38 PM

Living near Meadville is a great location for the fisherman, there are many waters to choose from, Pymy to the north, Wilhelm to the south and Woodcock in your back yard. There is French Creek, the Allegheny isn`t far, down in Franklin and Shenango to the east and even Conneautte Lake if you can stand the big power boats. It all depends on what species of fish you are going after? I myself would prefer a 15 to 17 foot bass type boat with a 20 HP short shaft motor, that would cover you for most all the surrounding lakes and streams and a electric motor is a must as well.. I have a camp along French Creek near Cochranton, so I fish it a lot, So I have a9.9 Merc and a 15ft Myers aluminum boat because it can take a little more punishment on the rocks than a Fiberglass boat can. Good luck in finding the right boat for your needs

If you don`t stand behind our Troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them....
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 07:49 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowder View Post
Welcome to NW PA!!!!!!!!!

Yup, aint it cool? . As a guy that fishes from a canoe and does not need the wakes high powered boats leave, I'm glad I have so much water to fish with out the noise and heavy wakes form fast boats. I stay off the Shenango reservoir and keep to the no gas motor side of Wilhelm. Pymy can get real rough real fast for canoes so I stay in 41 bay and a few other quiet spots when I head over there.
SlickShot likes this.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 07:56 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
BP did you notice that Tamarack lake is filling in? Wife and I drove by today and the work on the new dam seems done. And there is more water than before. I'm told it will take quite a while to fill in but we could be fishing there again by 2021 or so depending on how they stock it. For me at least I can take the canoe out for an evening paddle by Oct. of so.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 03:20 AM
Part of the Community

I hang a 9.8 outboard on my boat when using a HP restricted lake near me. Also use it when ice starts flowing on the river and the jet isn't up to the task. It doesn't get me anywhere fast, but it opens up some opportunities I wouldn't have without it.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 08:11 AM
Frequent Contributor

I made the mistake of buying a 15 ft Carolina Skiff with a 20 hp fourstroke Mercury on it, both brand new. Took over 100yds to get the boat on plane, if I was the only one on board. With my wife on board, could not get on plane.

Solved it by having a 30hp Etec installed, and it "jumps" on plane, no matter who's on board with me. New problem is I only use it on the Delaware River now. If I could go back, here would be the plan.

Get an aluminum boat of about 14' or 15' with a 2 cyl outboard, of about 18>20hp. That keeps the ability to plane, enough room to fish, and the 2 cyl has more ooomph to get it on plane quickly. Used to have a 15' Dura just as I just described, and wish I never sold it.

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in