First fishing kayak - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 10:27 AM

Looks great. Will you be using it in streams or lakes? How much does that weigh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlinehuntr10 View Post
I am looking into getting my first kayak also. I don't have a very large budget which makes it tough researching different models. I'm 6' and about 235lbs, I was looking for something in the 10' range with a weight capacity 275lbs - 300+lbs. So far i looked at the Lifetime Tamarack and Sun Dolphin, the weight capacity on the Sun Dolphin is only 250lbs, and the Lifetime is 275lbs.
I have the Lifetime Tamarack. I've only fished out of it once. I'm six feet and 220 and it works for me. It's a good basic kayak for fishing.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter8319 View Post
Looks great. Will you be using it in streams or lakes? How much does that weigh?
Thanks Hunter, it weighs 97lbs. 90% percent of the time it'll be lakes. Simply because it takes two people/vehicles to fish streams/rivers.

pullin strings, flingin flies and scraping stones...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 08:37 PM

looks like it`s a well built kayak. hope it works well for you and good luck fishing in it
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernPotterCo View Post
looks like it`s a well built kayak. hope it works well for you and good luck fishing in it
Thanks npc, I'm having an absolute blast in it. Here are some other things I've done with it. This is a drag chain anchor, if you're not familiar with it here's the skinny on it. In a river/creek this will drag along the bed and slow you to the current speed and allow time for another cast or two to those sweet spots. With this you can also adjust faster or slower depending on how much line you have out. I've used this system on the Susquehanna with great success. I made mine out of 1' sections of 3/8" chain that I slid into a bicycle tire tube zip stripped on. (that was an interesting experience) You can adjust this anchor system by adding or removing sections accordingly. This also keeps you tracking straight while floating downstream, a huge plus.

This is an anchor trolly system, with this you can change anchor points depending on wind direction and keep you facing the way for best casting. you can go from a rear anchor point to the front and anywhere in between in seconds and you do not have to move to do it.

I chose a 6lb. down rigger ball for my anchor. For line storage/retrieval I bought a divers reel, I use this for Stillwater fishing. It doesn't catch or tangle on anything on the bottom yet holds position very well. The floats are for in case I need to disengage the anchor for what ever reason and still be able to get it back.

For gear storage I went to Weis and got two milk crates. I wanted to maximize the space so I cut one down and zip stripped it to the other the width of the kayak floor behind the seat. I used a piece of black plastic ribbed flexible pipe to hold the sections of chain. This gives easy access and prevents them from getting buried. This has worked out very well.

Also, so I don't end up ---- creek without a paddle I have a paddle bungee.

On the front hatch I have a GoPro mount installed along with a dummy cord attatchment (the smaller cordage from inside parachute cord) so I don't end up crying in the middle of a lake somewhere in PA.

I have had the best time with this kayak and look forward to next year where I'll be making it a point of bothering as many trout as possible in as many lakes as possible...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2219.jpg (1.17 MB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2221.jpg (927.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2222.jpg (965.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2223.jpg (924.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2224.jpg (1.30 MB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2226.jpg (965.4 KB, 3 views)
Dogface and octagon like this.

pullin strings, flingin flies and scraping stones...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page