Outboard Motor Dolly - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Outboard Motor Dolly

I've been working (leisurely) on a boat re-hab for about the last year. I really hadn't been in much a hurry to get things done, as I didn't have a motor. Well, a couple weeks ago I found one. I didn't want to leave the motor on the boat while I was still in the destruction/construction phase. So, I needed a dolly. I found a plan online (I-boats), and built one today. The guy that posted the plans did a great job - I should have paid more attention. Two things I should have put a little more thought into. I couldn't find any swivel casters, so I was stuck with what I could find locally. Swivel casters will be an upgrade when I mount the motor to the boat. Maybe a bigger issue, was the centering of the motor bracket. I wanted to leave enough room out "front" to fit a couple batteries, and the fuel tank. So, I moved the mounting bracket back a couple inches, and it shows. It shouldn't tip, and looks worse in the pictures than it is, but I should have centered the load a better. I may add a little longer 2x4 to the bottom later on as well. I'll add "shelf" for the the batteries and tank tomorrow. I will also add some sort of holder for the extra props and controls. This should do the job for now. I'll clean the garage tomorrow, and put this off to the side for now. You'll notice the cut out floor pieces in the rear of the first pic. I need to order the flooring material, and get that done next.

From the side:
[img][/img]

The Front:
[img][/img]
The Rear:
[img][/img]

“did you get all that on camera sport?”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 01:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Outboard Motor Dolly

Nice work. I have mine so the gas can fits under the motor and the base goes to the far back of the motor as I push it against the wall. Might want to take those batteries off after the motor is off (no tip).
I've had mine about 10 years and I must admit they really do take up a good bit of garage space. but a nice piece of equiment, looks like your time was well spent. congratulations on a good job.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Thanks Harry. I can pull the batts off without it tipping, but it is certainly top heavy. I'll rectify that once the motor is on the boat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 12:07 AM
The Man

the only other thing that would make it really "sporting" is if you'd paint it camo. Wish I had that talent

I gotta go agitate the techies!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 11:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

looks so good, I'd stain it and give a poly E coating before it gets dirty.

I don't have e start on my smaller moters so the gas can takes the place of your batteries.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page