Mac's River Runner Prop Guard - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Mac's River Runner Prop Guard

I'm thinking of buying a Mac's River Runner Prop Guard to put on my small outboard. Any opinions on this product? It looks as if you have to drill a few holes in the skeg to install?

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 04:33 PM
Sage

I put the below Mac River Prop Guard on my 25 Johnson several years ago & it has performed well in the rocks below Conowingo Hydro Plan(Lower Susky) and the prop eating Chincoteague oyster beds. Boat is a Lund 16' SSV. Before prop guard I was lucky to get a trip where I wasn't doing prop damage. I went with the trolling style based on a friends recommendation who fished same areas as me. Skeg needs to be drilled for installation.

You will be well pleased with a Macs!!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 04:41 PM
Sage

A cheaper way is to mount a pitchfork on the lower unit with hose clamps. Mount it with the points of the fork towards the prop so the back of the fork hits the obstruction and moves the lower unit away from whatever it is hitting and protects the prop.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 04:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
A cheaper way is to mount a pitchfork on the lower unit with hose clamps. Mount it with the points of the fork towards the prop so the back of the fork hits the obstruction and moves the lower unit away from whatever it is hitting and protects the prop.
Definitely cheaper but prop is still exposed to damage when backtrolling, reverse and drift fishing over hazzards. I used pitchforks and similar but ended up going with a Macs and have had zero prop damage going on 8 years now fishing tuff areas. It has paid for itself many, many times.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 04:50 PM
Sage

Agreed, but for normal running around on a river it works well. Not everyone knows about back trolling for flounder.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggy View Post
I put the below Mac River Prop Guard on my 25 Johnson several years ago & it has performed well in the rocks below Conowingo Hydro Plan(Lower Susky) and the prop eating Chincoteague oyster beds. Boat is a Lund 16' SSV. Before prop guard I was lucky to get a trip where I wasn't doing prop damage. I went with the trolling style based on a friends recommendation who fished same areas as me. Skeg needs to be drilled for installation.

You will be well pleased with a Macs!!

Thanks, I'm mostly taking it in the Schuylkill and back bays/rivers near the Delaware Bay. It's not cheap, but neither is replacing props.

I think the trolling style is more for keeping downrigger cables out of the prop?

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook

Last edited by Uncle Nicky; 09-29-2018 at 06:10 AM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 10:47 PM
Sage

Provides protection from rocks, logs, debris plus fishing lines etc. Not suggested if you are doing mostly shallow water running. The river runner would best serve that kinda use.

Troll Prop Saver? - Mac's Prop Savers
Uncle Nicky likes this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 09:21 PM
The Man

I have an OMC guard similar to Loggy's. It works great but it does cut the top end down and sometimes small stones get stuck between the guard and the prop and causes the engine to stall. I use mine on the Susquehanna and have not had to dress the prop in years.

The Mac's unit may be better than my OMB because it looks like there is more clearance between the guard and the prop and that may eliminate the stone problem.

Last edited by Dogface; 10-03-2018 at 09:24 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 08:45 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Not sure how old your motor is but any drilling into the Skeg may void the Warranty.
I have a custom made guard on my motor from a guy in Perry Co.
I lost his contact # and name.
I've seen many of the Pitchfork set ups on the Susqy.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 09:46 AM
Sage

Had my Johnson dealer install mine. Motor was out of warranty but a good point to ck if still in warranty.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page