Outboard gas tank repair - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Woods walker

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Outboard gas tank repair

I recently bought a used 3 gallon outboard tank from an online app. It looked ok, had 2 decent Merc fittings and some decent gas line so for $15 I took a chance. I cleaned it up and then noticed that on the top where it steps down both corners had some damage, like maybe somebody dropped something heavy on the tank and it just crushed it a little. I put some gas in it and noticed that both corners were leaking just a bit from a few cracks. I cleaned the area good with denatured alcohol and then tried Gorilla epoxy on it. Let it dry a few days, but last night when I moved the tank around gas leaked out again. The epoxy didn't bond with the plastic. Has anybody successfully repaired a tank like this? If so, how..... I have seen some glues that say they are resilient to gas, but I'm thinking in the heat etc... there is a lot of expansion in these tanks and not sure glue would hold for long.

Open to ideas....

Work is for people who don't hunt!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 08:54 AM
Banned

JB weld

JB weld products have worked good for me but I never used on a plastic gas tank. Good luck.

https://www.acplasticsinc.com/inform...s-for-plastics

Last edited by 1stlight; 08-30-2018 at 09:04 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks, That's one that I did see has one kind that is supposed to be gas resistant. I was even thinking of trying the super glue and baking soda trick...….

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 09:32 AM
Sage

Your best bet is to keep the fittings and toss the tank. I would not have a gas tank in a boat, it is a recipe for disaster. Rube Goldberg repairs and gasoline do not mix.
limbhnger10 likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 09:45 AM
Sage

Assume it's a remote tank that must be kept on boat(outside any closed compartments) powering a small OB motor. If fittings are good....I would get another tank. Too much pressure build-up to risk a patch IMO. Also, when you squeeze primer bulb it should get hard which will tell you if fittings are still good. I just replaced my primer bulb on my remote(onboard) 6 gal tank fueling my 25 Johnson. It wouldnt hold prime & was causing motor to stall at low rpms.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member

Last edited by Loggy; 08-30-2018 at 09:47 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 09:48 AM

I’m not sure if you’re talking about a plastic or steel tank. If plastic, I’d pitch it. If metal, it’s fixable. I have repaired auto gas tanks with JB Weld successfully. I also fixed an oil pan that had pin holes rusted through with JB. Just make sure you prep my getting down to clean metal.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

It is a plastic, portable tank. If it was an enclosed tank I'd deff replace it. But being that it's exposed on the back of the boat I thought it would be worth a shot at fixing. It's just a backup tank for my 6 gallon one I use all of the time.... If I can't fix it, the fitting were decent, so I got my money back on saving them....

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Well, I found a tube of JB Weld on my work bench, which lists gas tank repairs in the description and is gas resistant.... I'll give it a try just for the heck of it... Otherwise, it's going to the land fill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page