Handicap boat boarding ramp ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By WilySpike

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Handicap boat boarding ramp ?

I just bought a pontoon boat and would like to take my mother out for some much needed relaxation . But , to be safe , I need to get some type of ramp to safely get her onboard . Yes , the public dock is almost even with the boat deck , but that gap will be a problem for her to step across . Question : she has very good insurance , would Blue Cross possibly pick up part of the cost like they do for walkers and such ? If not , does anyone have a good source for this kind of equipment or do I just do the normal internet search ? Thanks for any and all suggestions .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 07:57 AM

You may be over thinking this. If the boat dock and your boat deck are nearly even why not get some 3/4" plywood cut the the width of the door on your pontoon and of appropriate length possibly reinforce as necessary. You are only talking a few feet to get from the boat dock onto the deck of your boat. I can't see insurance covering something like this. Personally I would try to build something myself however I do not know your skill set and the needs of your mother. Best of luck.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Nomad . Yes , the public dock I usually use is good for plywood , but I'm thinking of other places I may take her . I'll need to make
a pivot type mount of some type and make the ramp at least 4 ft long so it's not too steep for her . I'm pretty handy with tools , but would like this to be aluminum for transport purposes . Plywood & hardware can add up quickly in weight .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 08:49 AM

I totally hear what you are saying and plywood gets heavy quick. Maybe use a section of old aluminum ladder as your base and then cover one side of it with some form of aluminum material as decking. I have seen some guys use old ladders to give structural integrity to their custom boat deck builds.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 08:52 AM

It just dawned on me that maybe an easy solution would be to consider a set of truck loading ramps from harbor freight. Secure them together somehow and they may just work.

https://www.harborfreight.com/catalo...nk%2Cf&q=ramps
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 08:23 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad_archer View Post
It just dawned on me that maybe an easy solution would be to consider a set of truck loading ramps from harbor freight. Secure them together somehow and they may just work.

https://www.harborfreight.com/catalo...nk%2Cf&q=ramps
That looks like a great way to go!
nomad_archer likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page