Aluminum hull Deck Boat questions . . . - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

Aluminum hull Deck Boat questions . . .

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Deck boat . It's 22 years old , but looks well cared for . An internet search shows a plywood floor with lots of insulation under it . Are they prone to leaks which in turn would soak the insulation ? Is the hull viewable inside on these boats ? Just trying to cover my bases when I go to look at it . The only thing I can think of is to look for loose rivits or maybe cracks in the transom . I'll of course want to hear the motor run and inspect it for cylinder pressure . Anything else anyone can think of checking ? Thanks for any guidance .

Last edited by 4x4dad; 07-18-2018 at 12:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 06:45 AM
Sage

I have no idea what you are paying for the boat but they don't give 22 footers away. You may want to think about hiring a boat surveyor to survey the boat before you buy. They will go over the boat and motor and give you a written report of what is good and what is not to help you make an informed decision. If something is found that is repairable you can also use the survey to negotiate a lower price so you don't take a hit on repairs. Here is where you can find a marine surveyor in PA.

https://www.marinesurvey.org/us-regi...nsylvania.html

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

I've actually contacted an old friend that has worked at 3 different boat shops and owned ski boats & pontoons since he was 18 years old . If he's available , I'll take him with me to inspect the boat . Your correct W W , they aren't cheap , that's why I'm trying to cover my bases for the initial inspection . It's no princess , but looks well cared for for it's age . Must of been stored in a garage ? Thanks for the reply W W .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 05:05 PM
Sage

You are welcome. Sadly I have seen the results of a boat that was purchased without being surveyed by an expert.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 06:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
You are welcome. Sadly I have seen the results of a boat that was purchased without being surveyed by an expert.
Sadly I experienced it about 35 years ago. Buying that boat was the second happiest day of my life, the happiest of course being the day I got rid of it.

I thought I was an expert . Live and learn.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

I'm sure we've all been in those shoes at one time or another . The reason I know about the soaked insulation is because I forgot to plug the old holes after removing a 85 hp and installing a new 15 hp . My transom was 2 layers and the water was coming in unseen between the 2 layers unbenounced to me . By the time I figured it out , I had to remove the floor and refurbish the entire thing . In the end I created a much stronger & waterproof floor & stringers . I'm to the point now in my life that I don't want to be working on a boat , I want to be out enjoying it with family & friends . A recent death of a loved drove that point home deeply . Life is just too short not to be enjoyed at every opportunity .
simoncool likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 06:33 PM
Sage

Very true that!

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Unbelievable outcome today . Talked to the boat owner at noon and told him I was coming with hand money until the bank opens Monday just to be sure he knows I'm serious about buying it . An hour and 15 minutes into an hour and a half drive , I pass a boat going the opposite direction that looks JUST LIKE THE ONE I'M HEADING TO BUY ! ! ! I Suddenly get a text on my phone , SORRY THE BOAT IS SOLD . WOW just WOW ! People are absolutely amazing .
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 08:33 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Sorry to hear that 4x4. That's internet etiquette.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 08:42 PM

A guy did the same to me on a quad a couple years ago. I drove almost 2 hours just to watch it get loaded into someone else's truck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page