Legal to carry firearms on a boat? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Legal to carry firearms on a boat?

Just bought a used Lowe Roughneck after years since I had to sell my other. I don't have a concealed carry permit yet, let's just say I wanted to take a shotgun or a rifle along boating for protection, Is this legal? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 10:31 PM

I know you can on a 4 -wheeler as long as it's unloaded going to your spot on private property ,but I don't know about a boat . check with the game commission and fish commission or your local police department for clarification to stay legal and out of trouble
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks bud, hard to find info on this. I'll see what I can find out. Too many nutcases out there these days unfortunately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 11:52 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308Gunner View Post
Thanks bud, hard to find info on this. I'll see what I can find out. Too many nutcases out there these days unfortunately.

Nutcases? I thought you were worried about pirates.

OK I couldn't resist.
bigguy54 and Dennis Hill like this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 02:12 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hill View Post
I know you can on a 4 -wheeler as long as it's unloaded going to your spot on private property
Um, bad info. The law was changed/amended several years ago. If you have a license to carry firearms, you can carry a loaded firearm (handgun....not rifle or shotgun) on an ATV. Has nothing to do with private property, although that's pretty much the only place you can ride an ATV, unless the public road/property is open to such ATV travel.

And yes, you can carry on a boat if you have the LTCF.

Steve

Last edited by Steve in PA; 04-30-2018 at 02:18 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 07:24 AM

I would say it depends on where you are ....

I believe State Parks now allow concealed carry throughout the parks(check with DNRC to be sure *I'm no expert*). My local state park lake is a no hunting zone, so while you can carry concealed.... I doubt a "long gun" for protection would be OK. Now an hour away at another state park you are allowed to hunt most of the lake, so during a hunting season you would be OK as long as you were in the hunting areas.... not too sure about "summer time".

Also my local ACOE lake restricts weapons in "developed areas". They do allow hunting in the "undeveloped areas"..... haven't quite figured out how you are supposed to launch the boat (developed area) to get to your hunting spot. I can tell you that guys launch and go hunt with no issues. However if you were carrying concealed while sitting at one of the picnic tables they may take issue(of course they would only find out if something went wrong). At another "developed area" they allow you to park and walk to hunting areas, HOWEVER they will chase you for bow fishing there under the "no weapons in developed areas" rule.... I guess uncased/unloaded weapons are OK as long as you don't use them right there .... And by "developed" it means a parking lot + a porta-pot.

There is also a Federal Park an hour away.... they do not allow hunting within the park, so again no "long guns". You are now allowed to carry concealed at the park with the exception of some of the buildings.

Personally I'd get the carry permit, leave the long gun at home and double check with whatever authority runs the area.

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 09:18 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My understanding is that a LTCF does not cover long guns as they do not fall under the definition of "firearms" as defined in the National Firearms Act. Under the NFA long guns are referred to as rifles and shotguns.

Given the above info., with a LCTF, the only loaded weapon to be legally carried in a boat for protection would be a revolver, pistol, or properly registered short barreled rifle or shotgun . Loaded long guns would not be allowed at anytime aboard the boat for protection regardless if one had a LTCF. I would think you could take a properly cased and secured long gun aboard (unloaded) but I'm not certain.

That's how I understand the laws as they pertain to your situation, but do not take it as gospel. Always best to get an answer from a bonafide legal source.

Last edited by simoncool; 04-30-2018 at 10:06 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Sort of a grey area...And thanks for helping out. Wouldn't mind packing some AR or shotgun action in case of pirates...Not the one's from the Burgh....I'll be taking my AR onboard unloaded, if I get stopped we'll go from there. I don't care anymore, just want to protect my family and my belongings.
Dogface likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 12:25 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308Gunner View Post
I don't care anymore, just want to protect my family and my belongings.
In this day and age who can blame you.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 09:48 PM

I know this isn't what you had in mind , but until you get your permit , maybe a flare gun would suffice ? It's perfectly legal and on some bodies of water actually required .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page