Home built Boat registration nightmare... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Home built Boat registration nightmare...

My God, what a convoluted process to register a home built boat in PA.

I went online to the PFBC website to start the process of registering my small home built boat. I want to use a trolling motor on this boat so just a launch permit is out of the question. The paperwork involved is convoluted to say the least. Its more in depth than purchasing an aircraft, and that is no exaggeration, because I have purchased an aircraft and it involved far far less red tape.

Since I built the boat myself I have no proof of ownership. I evidently was required to keep receipts for materials, which I had no idea of at the time I built it. I originally built the thing back around 2002. Just finished it last year(long story there). I had no thought to the registration process and didn't think that far ahead. I spoke to a representative from the PFBC this afternoon and was given instructions on how to get things done. For one I have to get a fair market value estimate from a boat dealer. This is to establish how much the state can tax me for the boat. And I also found out this afternoon that home built boats are non transferrable so no way to sell or even give it to my children if so desired. So when I'm done with the boat someday, its going to have to be burned I guess....

Luckily for me I can prove that I built the boat from a legit set of plans. I found out had I not worked from a set of plans, I'd have to get something called a Marine survey done to the boat, which is done to show sea worthiness I guess. That would have cost in the hundreds of dollars. Evidently the state is cracking down on registration of home made boats.

Had I known at the time what a bunch of -- this process would be, I doubt I would have undertaken the project.....

Gotta love bureaucracy...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 10:20 PM

WOW,

what do they think you're going to do with it. smuggle illegal immigrants across the border ?

Government over reach at its finest. before you get the registration done, think about dumping some tea in the harbor.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 10:59 PM

Back in the 80's a local boy built a boat in his basement while at trade school. It was too big, he couldn't get it out. I think he had to tear it apart,can't really remember. Actually forgot about it until this thread. I will have to ask him about it. Maybe better yet, mention it to his buddies in the Raystown Striper Club. They should enjoy that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page