Mahoning Creek Float ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By lee1313
  • 1 Post By kudu58

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Mahoning Creek Float ?

I am thinking about planning a float down the Mahoning Creek in late spring from somewhere around the New Bethlehem/Putneyville area down to where it flows into the Allegheny River.

A friend of mine has a camp along the creek about 2 miles up from the mouth so I am familiar with that section, but I have never gone very far upstream and I am looking for some intel.

I've checked it out on Googlemaps and it looks like it could be a pretty nice scenic run, but I am not sure if there are any dangerous spots (waterfalls, rough rapids, etc.) upstream.

Does anyone have any experience canoeing/kayaking down this creek? Put-in spots near Putneyville? Any dangerous areas?

Thanks.

Quarry mine, blessed am I
In the luck of the chase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I did some additional research on this and found a potential put-in spot where State Route 1025 crosses the creek in New Bethlehem (near the Putneyville General Store).

It's about a 16.5 mile run from the put-in all the way down to the Allegheny River, and according to what I've found the Mahoning Dam Creek Gauge should be at 3.0 or above/480 cf/s flow.

I am going to head up there in the next couple of weeks to scout out the creek where it runs near the local roads along that run to check for any potential dangers. And if all looks ok, I am going to plan a run for late May.

Hopefully updates to come...

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:40 AM
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Johnny View Post
I did some additional research on this and found a potential put-in spot where State Route 1025 crosses the creek in New Bethlehem (near the Putneyville General Store).

It's about a 16.5 mile run from the put-in all the way down to the Allegheny River, and according to what I've found the Mahoning Dam Creek Gauge should be at 3.0 or above/480 cf/s flow.

I am going to head up there in the next couple of weeks to scout out the creek where it runs near the local roads along that run to check for any potential dangers. And if all looks ok, I am going to plan a run for late May.

Hopefully updates to come...
Did you make the trip? Haven’t been on this site in a long time and just saw your post. I’ve kayaked the stretch from mahoning dam to putneyville a few times, and from deanville road to the mouth once. Nice creek. Was wondering what the stretch from putneyville to deanville road was like if you hit that.
Uncle Johnny likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:15 AM
The Man

I canoed from New Bethlehem to the river one year on Memorial Day weekend. It was a great trip except for a really bad storm one night. I can't recall any dangerous spots at all from that trip. We enjoyed some fantastic fishing. To this day, some of the biggest smallmouths that I've ever caught came from that trip.
Uncle Johnny likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:15 AM
New Arrival

Was that mahoning creek? Or red bank?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:19 AM
The Man

Ah yes, Redbank. My bad, still half asleep after a late work night.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee1313 View Post
Did you make the trip? Haven’t been on this site in a long time and just saw your post. I’ve kayaked the stretch from mahoning dam to putneyville a few times, and from deanville road to the mouth once. Nice creek. Was wondering what the stretch from putneyville to deanville road was like if you hit that.

No, due to family stuff and the rainy spring weather on the weekends, I never did make it up that way to check it out. I have only had the kayaks and canoes out twice this year, and both were just on my local creek (Chartiers here in Crafton).

Thanks for the intel from Deanville Road down to the mouth, that helps. This Mahoning run is definitely high on my list, I just have to make the time to get it done. Looks like a fantastic nature type of float.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:55 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

All depends how much time you have deanville road would be about half the time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page