Boat trailer - Axle grease - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Boat trailer - Axle grease

Haven't greased the bearing buddies on my trailer in awhile and need to purchase a tube of grease. What is a good grease for this application? What is everybody using?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 03:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Boat trailer - Axle grease

I hope you have Bearing buddies or some other hub with a grease fitting, Zerk fitting.

The quality of the lube isn't as important as keeping them full and purging any water. When a trailer moves it pushes the greas in the hub around, and it heats up. the air spaces and the heat/cooling causes moisture to get into the bearing. I always give my bearings a small shot of grease befor pulling it into the water. The warm bearing will cool in the under water condition and that means a vacuum will pull in some water, bad news. really no way to seal the bearings and the rear seals mostly leak.

So that a side. While any chassis grease will do; you can just buy a lithium based Marine grease tube at Wal-mart or other discount store (usually less than $5).

If you are hand packing the bearings; I'd suggest getting zerk fitting type dust caps and replacing the rear seal when you take the bearing out (obviously clean the bearing in some solvent and check the bearings and race for any cracks or roughness. And make use you pre-load the bearing if you hand pack them.

Happy trailering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page