how big for erie - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

how big for erie

i just got a 16 ft sea nymph with a 18 hp motor. what are my option=s for erie? i know i cant go offshore but how bout the bay or a little ways out on a good day? thanks

We Are...PENN STATE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 10:17 AM
Part of the Community

Re: how big for erie

I've lived on and fished Lake Erie 40+ years. It can go from flat to 4-6ft waves quick. Alot of people fish it in boats your size, I would NOT recommend it.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 10:18 AM
The Man

I have a 16' Scout boat that is unsinkable. That said, I would personally not venture far from shore, or stay in any inlets and bays there are. If you ever did venture out of sight of land, I'd be sure to have a kicker motor and a good marine radio.

I gotta go agitate the techies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Frequent Contributor

You will not have any trouble in PIB it is no different there then fishing lake arthur or any other smaller lake. I fish the bay all the time in a 17' Lowe bass boat. The big lake I was nervous in my 18 1/2' Crestliner . I fished for perch but usually stayed only a few miles from shore.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys i'm a cautious person by nature so i didnt want to go out far knowing the lake can get nasty but if i stay visible to shore or in the bay i think i should be ok. i just wanted some other opinions of folks who fish there.

We Are...PENN STATE
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 05:33 PM
Frequent Contributor

you can get into such swells that alot of the time , you can't see the shore evn when in range.
I hear folks say 21 footer at the least
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 10:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Way too small for the lake. Fort said it well. I fish it with a 32 footer and an 23 footer. The 23 footer is min.

Yep I see 16 foot trackers out 3-5 miles, just fools.
L.E. kicks up to fast to play with death.

Your boat runs out at say 18-23 MPH on a nice flat calm day. you fish the trench and catch some fish. then you notice that it is starting to get a 'little' rough. pull the rods an set to run in; but it is too rought ot run wide open as you went out. Now you are 10 miles out from the mouth to presque Isla bay, and canonly manage a 3 mile headway; that is at least 3 miles and it is kicking up.

I've watched 20 foot Sea rays floundr and fill with water. I my larger boat I've had the CG ask for my assistance to help small boats in rough water. I can't rescue a 20 foot glass boat without endangering my vessel and crew. swells will just use a fiberglass boat as a ram to sink the responding vessel.

i tried once to get a dude in that was out 7 miles in a Sportspal 13 foot canoe with a 3.5 puttputt. he was catching fish and wouldn't start back, even when I was going back with 450 hp.

Erie is a killer for fools. Act smart.

I'm leaving tomorrow for a week of scuba in the Niagara
river.

"...a little ways out..." sounds like a little pregnant
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 10:30 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've never boated on the lake, but i fish steelhead near the mouths in the fall. I've already been a 1/4 mile upstream from the lake and had the wave surge instantly raise the water around my knees by several inches, then recede as quickly. It's an eerie feeling. (No pun intended.) The great lakes have claimed many lives over the years. I'd give her the respect she's due. These fellas seem to know what they're talking about and I've seen what the lake looks like from shore enough to agree with them.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 10:47 PM

We used to fish it pretty heavy through the 90s out of an18.5 footer. Rode through some rough weather and bad seas in that boat. Darn right she kicks up quick and often!!! Scared most of the time. Than we lost 3 family friends to the lake that put life in a tiny boat on a Great lake into perspective! Don't take the 'fool' name calling personal, heed the warning! Sure others have done it, been doing it, still gonna do it. Be safe, not a statistic!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 11:07 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have to agree with Wadman. I also agree with most responses or at least some of what has been said already. The lake needs to be repected. You have to keep an eye on weather, wind, and conditions. I've seen fourteen foot semi-v row boats with 5 hp motors out there with the perch pack. I have a 17 foot center console glass boat and it does fine but I choose my trips wisely, keep an eye on the sky, watch wind and listen to NOAA weather often. Just use your head and you'll be fine.

Notch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page