Utilizing a 9.9 Kicker ? Setup Question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Utilizing a 9.9 Kicker ? Setup Question

We have a 150hp merc and a 9.9 kicker. Was planning to use the 9.9 for trolling purposes on erie or for HP restricted lakes. The 150 is the main motor and is obviously controlled by the steering wheel. We want the 9.9 to also be controlled by the wheel. What are our options for making this happen or at least having control of the 9.9 without having to do everything by hand?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 01:43 AM

Re: Utilizing a 9.9 Kicker ? Setup Question

connecting the motors with a tie bar, either on the steering arms, or at the lower units is simple enough. Do you have a remote throttle for it? otherwise you'll need to go to that tiller arm to tweak the throttle.

How is your kicker mounted to the boat?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

We don't have a remote throttle. Mounted right beside the 150. Where can I get the tiller arm and how hard is it to install?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 10:10 AM
The Man

Overton's is a great place to get most if not all of your boating needs. Very easy to install

I gotta go agitate the techies!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 01:55 AM

When I ask how it's mounted, I mean is it directly bolted to the transom, or is it on a lift or other bracket? The tiller arm is the handle that comes off the kicker for steering and the throttle which I assume you have since you don't have a remote throttle and steering.

I've used this bar before in the past. It takes some tinkering to get everything bent up correctly. It's nice because you can pop the connecting arm off the ball joints easily when not in use. Downside is it tends to be a little noisy with rattles, and it also requires the two motors to be pretty much in the same tilt position when connected, but is very much cheaper than other options.
marinetech aux steering link

This is another option, looks quieter and is supposed to be more friendly to different tilts, but I'm not sure that's entirely fool proof. If it falls off where it's mounted, could easily damage a prop.
ez steer connector

Those two options will connect your steering.

Panther also makes some electric steer retrofits that steer the motor independently, you can also get a bracket for the kicker with tilt and steering built in.

panther stand alone option

panther kicker steer for their brackets

Panther makes many different setups, including brackets, tilt/trim brackets, with/without integrated steering.

For remote throttle control, you either need to run another control cable with another throttle handle, or use a servo controlled unit like a controllking or a trollmaster .

Controllking units are less expensive, and work well, but they are simpler. I used one (actually still have it in a box) and was very happy with it. Trollmaster has some more complex units that can also integrate with the panther steering kits, so you can have stand alone throttle and steering control in one unit. Very cool, but as you can guess, very costly.

If you want something that will work on the cheap, the first steering bar I listed, and a controllking servo throttle control will give you full remote through your steering wheel and a wired control box for throttle. That's the exact setup I used back when I had a kicker. Not as slick as some of the more expensive options, but it did work well.

I can tell you from experience, trolling with a boat (or just driving) without remote throttle control is very annoying. You can lock the throttle on your tiller arm, but if you're trying to hold speed constantly going back there to adjust the throttle gets old quickly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page