Boating Saftey Tips 4th July - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Boating Saftey Tips 4th July

Boaters Reminded to Follow
Safety Tips Over July 4 Holiday

Harrisburg, PA – As the busy July 4 holiday approaches, the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission (PFBC) is reminding boaters to follow safety precautions when they are on the water, particularly when engaging boat propellers.

“Boating is among the most popular of summer recreational activities and a lot of people like to anchor their boats and go swimming,” said Ryan Walt, PFBC boating and watercraft safety manager. “However, a day of fun and sun out on the water could end in serious injury or even death if boaters don't follow appropriate safety precautions. Every year we see accidents in which individuals swimming behind boats are struck by propellers.”

Last year in Pennsylvania, 72 boating accidents were reported to the PFBC, of which 15 involved individuals being struck by propellers. Since 2000, three people have died as a result of being struck by a propeller. According to the U.S. Coast Guard, more than 6,000 boating accidents occur every year.

Walt says propeller strikes are among the most preventable of all boating accidents and advises boaters to practice the following safety tips:

Before starting your boat:
Put on your life jacket.
Walk to the stern and look in the water to make certain there is no one near your propeller (people near the boat’s propeller may not be visible from the helm).
Attach the lanyard to the engine cut-off switch to your life jacket. If the lanyard is removed from the switch, the engine will shut off.
Educate passengers:
Explain the dangers of a motorboat running into a swimmer.
Show the location of the propellers.
Establish clear rules for swim platform use, boarding ladders and seating (if possible, passengers should remain seated at all times).
Talk about safety procedures and emergency action plans.
Discuss preventing falls overboard: Maintain three points of contact; keep your weight low and close to the centerline.
Watch crew members and frequently check that everyone is aboard.
Wear deck-gripping shoes (bare feet have poor traction).
Avoid rough water and adverse weather conditions whenever possible.
Limit alcohol use.
Discuss swamping and capsizing prevention: Don’t overload your boat. If capsizing occurs, stay with the boat and make sure everyone has a life jacket.
Keep a lookout:
Assign a passenger to keep watch around the propeller area of your boat when people are in the water.
Never allow passengers to board or exit your boat when the engine is on or idling (your propeller may continue to spin). Turn the engine off.
Be especially alert when operating in congested areas and never enter swimming zones.
Take extra precautions near boats that are towing skiers or tubers.
Never permit passengers to ride on the bow, gunwale, transom, seat backs or other locations where they might fall overboard.
Children should be watched carefully while onboard.
Carefully approach your downed skiers or tubers. Turn the engine off before allowing them to board the boat.
Also, Walt suggests boaters consider purchasing propeller safety guards, cage-type devices which surround the propeller and shield people from the blades.

The mission of the Fish and Boat Commission is to protect, conserve, and enhance the Commonwealth’s aquatic resources and provide fishing and boating opportunities. For more information about fishing and boating in Pennsylvania, please visit our website at http://www.fishandboat.com/.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 01:11 PM
Banned

Re: Boating Saftey Tips 4th July

The best boating tip for the 4th of July weekend is to stay off the water, that weekend is armature and drunken fool weekend as is Labor day. When I kept boats on the Chesapeake, I stayed in the slip and sat on deck and enjoyed the show. You couldn't pay for better entertainment. If we went to another port of call for one of those weekends, we traveled before the wekend and came back to our marina after it was over.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 05:15 PM
TEE

I always use the buddy system too when I take out the kayak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 07:30 PM

i agree if i go out it is from daybreak till 9 or 10 then off the water .

Cowards die many times before their deaths: The valiant never taste of death but once.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 07:38 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

For years I use to boat to a fireworks display, very beautiful. About 20 years ago I decided it was just too many people in boats at night, so I sat on my dock with a drink and watched them from afar.

That night after the display was over (about 10 pm), a young boater gunned his high horsepower craft, like escaping the baseballpark traffic jam after a game. He went clean through a older wooden cabincruiser, killing 2 people. The next day I kept thinking how fortunate I was in making that decision even though it didappointed my wife and kids.

We really need an on water test program to get a boating license. We do it with cars, why not boats?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 09:11 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrysigafoo
We really need an on water test program to get a boating license. We do it with cars, why not boats?
Probably wouldn't make a difference. People with drivers licenses still drive like idiots. We see them and read about them in the paper every day.

My girls always want me to take the boat out for the fireworks, but I never go. Too many people out, and it takes about 2 hours to get out of the water as we have a ramp for one boat at a time. It takes some of the amatures around here 1/2 hour to get there boats on the trailer.

Venison - The other fast food
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 09:44 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Last Sunday I watched the officers at Harveys Lake deny two youngsters access at the launch. It was a good decision as they had absolutely no idea even how to put the boat in the water, and had tied up the area for a good 20 minutes. I was within earshot, and I think they asked them for a boaters course card which they did not have.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 12:47 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Just watching the lunatics at any ramp shows me about 50% should not be on the water, another 10% are questionable.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 01:51 PM
Banned

No doubt about that Harry. The marina where I kept my boat was next to a public ramp. On busy weekends we would sit on the dock in the evenings to watch the mayhem, screaming, yelling and cursing when a whole lot of boats were all trying to get out of the water at the same time. We made up number cards like the olympics and we would all hold up our score cards as we howled in laughter. I'm guessing some of those folks marriges ended after some of the screamng matches I observed. It would fill an entire thread to mention some of the stuf I saw at boat ramps, but it is very entertaining, like the time a guy in a sailboat forgot to step his mast when he drove from the rmp and put the mast into the electric lines at the street and put hald of Charlestown Md in the dark.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page