Start of my Jon Boat project - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

Start of my Jon Boat project

After finally calling it quits on my old boat

(too much work, too small, one hole too many...etc)

I decided I was going to start looking for another boat. After a few weeks of calling around and searching craigslist I found one I wanted (that wasn't an $8,000 Boston Whaler.... I still want that one!)

As you can see, the new one is a lot bigger!

It's a 2008 14' Tracker Topper Jon boat. Nothing fancy but does have a live well, two swivel seats (installed by previous owner) nice oars and a decking (installed by previous owner)

It was a little bit of a challenge getting it onto my trailer (meant for a PWC)

But I got it, and it "fits"

I ran it up the river with my 4hp Evinrude I picked up not too long ago and everything worked great. However the decking by the previous owner really bothered me. It was 2" foam insulation with a 1/4" piece of luan and some really old outdoor carpet. Not to mention it was falling apart in the boat as I was using it.

I decided I was going to upgrade the decking, run wires for navigation lights and add some storage. I'm also not very keen on drilling holes into a boat and I'd like a place to add accessories w/o drilling into the boat.

A trip to Home Depot's scrap wood pile and some other things and I was on my way. I worked for a few hours on it yesterday and made the first piece of decking.

As you can see it fits pretty nicely. If you look to the left of the photo up against the shed you'll see what used to be the old decking I was talking about.

Today I did a little more work and started making what will be the first storage compartment.

Eventually it will have a divider and locking lid on it (need more scrap wood) It'll hold most of my tackle, lures etc. I'll have 2 more similar but smaller boxes in the front area for other items.

I had just enough to start working on the front decking. I'll need o make a few more runs to home depot to check their scrap (Saturday afternoons are best)

When I'm finished everything will be able to be removed fairly easily (part of the design) I plan on using the boat for different tasks (fishing, crabbing and hunting) so depending on what I'm doing the configuration can change.

I'm picking up a 9.9HP outboard on Saturday (Hopefully) as the 4HP moved me but not fast enough for my liking and certainly not good enough to crab in the back bay..

What is the plan from here?

Complete first storage box and front decking.
Build 2 more smaller storage areas
Run wiring for lights
Set up accessories and anchor winch
Build "lid" for rear area that houses gas tank and batteries.
Replace seats with pedestal seats (Maybe)
Plus I'm sure there will be more as I get into it.

Any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 01:49 AM

Re: Start of my Jon Boat project

That is definitely my truck parked next to you with the trailer in the first pic.... boat looks great by the way.. I had a 14' jon that I did a lot of customization too.. It seemed like I always had a project going on and it was a blast
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwrsusq
That is definitely my truck parked next to you with the trailer in the first pic.... boat looks great by the way.. I had a 14' jon that I did a lot of customization too.. It seemed like I always had a project going on and it was a blast
Small world. Thanks, still has a ways to go but it's getting there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 02:22 PM

If you ever want some good ideas check out tinboats.net.. basically everything that could be imagined has been done and explained on that site.. it's a wealth of knowledge
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 11:11 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

very nice, I will try to take some new pics of mine in the next couple days. I plan on adding a rod locker and 2 small storage places to mine.

Mathews DXT
HHA sight
Quick Tune 3000
Beaman 340
2 Blade Rage

TC venture .270 win.
Bushnell Elite 3200
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 09:37 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwrsusq
If you ever want some good ideas check out tinboats.net.. basically everything that could be imagined has been done and explained on that site.. it's a wealth of knowledge
x2 on that, more info than you could imagine there.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 01:21 AM

keep the pedistals low as possible. The higher you get the less stable a thin boat gets

P.S. The monkey really freaks DennyF out
If you stand in front of tanks the tanks are gonna win.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusiousSays
keep the pedistals low as possible. The higher you get the less stable a thin boat gets
Yeah, I think the only one I'm going to pedestal will be the front and it'll only be high enough to rotate 360 degrees. The way the previous owner installed the seat it only turns a few degrees in either direction. I'm still not sure I even want to do that.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Well, I did a little more today. Nothing fancy but here are some pics.

That is the front sections. Also ran the anchor line so I can at least have something until I get my winch set up.

The side piece (Left) is where I'm going to mount the rod holder(s) as well as have some small storage for tools. Maybe Plyers with Velcro on the back or soemthing. Not sure yet.

I have just enough carpet left from the roll I bought to make a lid for the large front storage area.

Next on the list is getting the rear running light installed and then run the wiring for the front navigation light and rear running light. If money cooperates then I'll get a nice winch system for the anchor.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 12:08 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Looking good. keep plugging away, you'll be fishing soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page