battery inline fuses - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

battery inline fuses

got a 50hp 2stroke.got the two leads on the starting battery no inline fuses for these leads. got two other sets of leads on the same battery (for ff,bilge,lights,12v,radio,horn) and both have an inline fuse. what size fuse should be in there? my starting battery seems to be losing juice. the other day fishing for about 4hrs. my fish finder went dead. how do i check for what's the cause?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 05:20 PM
Banned

Re: battery inline fuses

Battery could be at the end of its life. You really should have a start battery and another one for accessories with a battery switch that you can isolate the starting battery and cut in the accessories battery to start if need be.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

starting battery is brand new....i already have 2 deep cycle trolling motor batteries hooked up at bow for trolling motor and front fishfinder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 06:06 PM
Banned

Is your charger hooked up to all the batteries?

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 06:20 PM

Hook your motor up to a set of earmuffs and the garden hose and run to make sure your motor is charging the batteries. If you have a charging problem and are running a fish finder and live well that could be causing your low battery condition.

Battery switch is a cheap investment, easy to hook up and will keep low batteries from drawing down good ones.

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 06:28 PM
Banned

Yep run with the switch set to all batteries and start with the starting battery only unless it goes south, then you can use the other ones.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

sonar depth finders are real battery drainers. I drift fish and like the sonar on all te time. It can get you in to trouble, dead battery or not enough to kick over the motor.

I run dual batteries with transfer switch. Unless you wire a disconnect for the alternator, don't change the switch while engine is running (sometimes it will blow out your diodes).

Never run the bilge pump to feed thru the switch, run that direct to a battery, with a separate high rating in-line fuse. You only want to protect the bilge from a direct short, not motor over current.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

didn't put anything else on. just had the fishfinder on. i have fished a solid 8hrs. for years with a fishfinder only on and never a problem. i do not have a battery switch on my boat. i will check to make sure alternator charging starting battery but it did when we first got it installed from bass pro. but i was not running the starting battery at all i was using my manual start kicker motor which is not electric start.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page