Livewell set-ups? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Livewell set-ups?

I just bought a Tracker Grizzly 1548 and it came with a gravity fed livewell box that has a single drain hole in the bottom. The entrance/exit port is just below the waterline on the starboard side of the boat. Judging by the height of the bottom of the livewell it wont get more then a few inches of water with plug removed. I would like to add a pump/overflow system and I'm looking for advice on the installation and location of the pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 03:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Livewell set-ups?

Guess it depends upon whether you want it for bait or fish.

The wells that run along the side of the small boats (usually between seats, etc) are bad for anything except small quanities of bait. As you get up on they drain out the plug, and often drain inside the boat. I'd get removable inside the boat plug for that in/out fitting. Us it for beer and pop.

They are also to small and rough to keep a decent size fish alive.

Your boat is small so really for bait you would be better of with a float bait bucket, and an ice chest for the fish.

if you want to get something, Todd or Rule, both make pump in pump out kits under $65.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have the same set up in my jon boat. I never use but for storage. I plugged the hole off.

Mathews DXT
HHA sight
Quick Tune 3000
Beaman 340
2 Blade Rage

TC venture .270 win.
Bushnell Elite 3200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I was thinking of trying to use one pump with a tee in front of it. On one leg going out the transom for fill up and fresh water while fishing and the other coming from the livewell for recirculating while planing or trailering. Concerned because of limited space at transom to run the xtra plumbing needed a tee and shut off valve where the pump has to be in system. Does it need to be below waterline to prime or can it be installed a little higher to allow for the xtra fittings? Will it draw if located higher or will it cavitate?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 01:33 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrysigafoo
Your boat is small so really for bait you would be better of with a float bait bucket, and an ice chest for the fish.
I am going that rout for my 14 foot jet fishing rig .

Mike

MuzzleMike

Come and see me on YT !
http://www.youtube.com/user/MuzzleMike
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

This 1548 Grizzly has a factory gunbox and gravity fed livewell so floor space is limited already. I settled for a Marine Metals super saver livewell kit from Gander. They have a 50% off sale for clearanced fish/marine item's. I got it for $15.00 plus tx. I ran a circut just shy of livewell to a switch then a plug end. On the pump side I put the other side of plug on end of pump wire. I also put a plug end at the transom for the pump to be hooked up as a emergency bilge. I switched out the plastic hose to a heavier pvc hose and clamped a custom longer pvc spray bar with more ports in it to the side of livewell. Now all I have to do is dump the pump overboard to fill turn on switch then put the pump in well to circulate. I'm going to put a verticle stand pipe in the drain to prevent overfill and just pull it out to drain the well. Simple to set up and use and can be removed to use box for xtra storage during duck season.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 02:22 PM

Yea those drop in livewell systems are your best bet. You can make one cheaper than they sell them for, but buying the kit is easiest. All they consist of is a 500-700 gph bilge pump and 1 inch aerosol tubing that runs into a 12-14 inch piece of PVC with holes cut into it. It's nice because the bilge comes with a filter so your water never gets too bad either.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 06:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

yak. the reason the boating indutry uses that clear flexible tubing is it can vibrate without fatiguing. PVC is rigid and will quickly fatigue and snap off at a joint.

this is Especially important if your fill fitting is below water level!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I made a mistake was in a hurry that morning it is a rubber edpm pond hose from Lowes. It is way sturdier than the kit hose and is very flexible . I took the boat out on Arthur last weekend it was awesum. This was the the first time this 1548 2008 boat got wet. The original buyer never used it and his wife said get rid of it. I put a new 20hp Tohotsu on it and it tops out at around 23mph. and goes on plane at just over 1/2 throttle at 18mph. The livewell system works good but the original drain cant handle 500gph and the tank will overflow on fill up. I was hoping I could put a stand pipe in it and just let it run but I will have to monitor it for now. If I put a valve before fill tube to slow fill will it hurt the pump?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page