Fishing kayak owners - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Fishing kayak owners

I'm in the market for a big SOT kayak, and I'm hoping to hear some thoughts from folks that own them. Most of my recent kayaking experience has been on a Wilderness Ride 135. I'm 6'4", 315lbs, and looking to do anything from casual afternoon floats, to duck hunting, to an extended camping float trip.

I had it narrowed down to two that look good on paper.... the Feelfree Lure 13.5 and the Nucanoe Pursuit. Then I put eyes on the Field & Stream Shadow Caster, and while it has a few gremlins, it looks to be a decent boat for half the price of the other two, which would allow me to buy plenty of farkles for it.

It's going to be a rather extensive ordeal to put these boats in the water for a test paddle, so i'm hoping to glean as much info as possible from the folks that own these boats in the meantime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 06:53 PM

I own the Nucanoe Frontier 12. It is tough to beat their open deck design and stability if you are looking for a true utilitarian kayak that can do it all. The Frontier can carry tons of stuff plus standing is a breeze. The downside is it is heavy and a bit slow. The Pursuit is a bit narrower and lighter so it will be faster when paddling and can still haul stuff quite well as the deck design is still pretty open.

Nucanoe has a new kayak coming out called the Flint. It is a bit cheaper than the pursuit and still has the open deck design.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nucanoe2.jpg (1.11 MB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg nucanoe woods1.jpg (1.58 MB, 30 views)

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 11:12 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have a feel free lure 13.5 and love it. I usually go around 240-250 and was looking for a big stable yak. The lure is super stable but not the fastest but speed is something you typically give up for stability. I paddle it with my twin 7 year olds in with me. The one sits on the "cutting board facing me and the other in the back on a cooler and we have plenty of room. I have had it out in the ocean in 1-2 foot slop with no worries of tipping. The best part about it is the seat, the seat is super comfortable. The removable fish finder console is nice as well. I have my lowrance elite 7 hooked up when in the ocean and just remove it when fishing creeks/rivers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. I'm leaning toward the Pursuit, but I need to read a little more about them both, and I really need to get them in the water. I've eliminated the Shadow Caster from my list... the questionable construction and QC can't be overcome by the price.

It's worth mentioning that the Jackson Big Rig and the Wilderness ATAK were both on my short list, but I took them off due to being at the extreme upper end of my budget. Would it be worth revisiting them, as they're only marginally more expensive than the Pursuit?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 08:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My buddy has a 14' ATAK, hands down the nicest rig I've seen. I just use an old town vapor sit in.

Free Madcatter!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 11:11 PM

I recently ordered a Vibe Sea Ghost 130 . 500 lbs. payload and comes with rudder . $850.00 . Should be here in a few weeks .
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 08:24 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I checked out a lot different SOT's and chose a Jackson about 2 years ago and works great for everything you're saying you want.
Lookup, Shank's Mare outfitters on the Susquehanna River. It's a good place to test paddle, they carry a few different brands and have a bunch of demos models and some trade ins

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
Will Rogers

Last edited by bud5132; 04-24-2018 at 12:09 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page