boat battery help - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

boat battery help

So i posted a thread a little while ago about my trolling motor going dead on me i replaced the piece i thought was the issue turns out that was not the problem the problem was the battery. So this is my first boat that doesnt run a small trolling motor off one battery i recharge so i really didnt know anything about it all electrical isnt my profession i specialize in highway and superstructure. So after another day on the lake with my friend when the trolling motor slowed again so after messing on the lake we realized the battery was the problem, when i bought the boat from the dealer he told me that the starting battery was the right one an the left one was a deep cycle. the way he made it sound the starting marine battery cranked or charged the deep cycle. When the outboard isnt running the volts read 12.4 on my fish finder when it is running 14.5 avg. So we switched and ran the trolling motor off the full smaller battery for the day and put the deep cycle on the finder and motor and it read 9.0volts but after running the motor it was up to 11.0. SO now the help i need is there anyway i can connect them into a battery bank? so that they are connected so when the motor is running it cranks or charges the batteries? the motor charges the battery since it went from 9-11 after only a few min of running. IS there anyway to connect them and how and the motor and trolling motor both have their own pos an neg connections. would i connect them both to the same battery and then attach the second battery to the first so they draw power of both. I have no idea here and so far the internet has been more confusing i dont want to have to charge the trolling battery every time i bring the boat home especially if i take a week long trip out of state camping.

From September to April my world revolves around hunting the rest is preseason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

1 battery for the motor and all accessories

1 battery for trolling motor only!

2 bank onboard charger and plug in after every trip.

Your motor will charge the starting battery when engine is running, for how long, depends on how far you run! I still use an onboard charger when I get home!

Buy a second deep cycle battery for trolling motor, group27 would be good!

Pa Hunting-It's a natural high!
2D 2F
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 08:48 AM
Frequent Contributor

You cannot depend on your motor to keep your trolling motor battery charged. Your motor should keep your cranking battery in a state of full charge providing nothing else is connected to the cranking battery that causes a constant draw.

It is absolutely essential that you connect your trolling battery to a charger after every day's use on the water. I don't know how your boat is equipped ,but if it is a new boat I would suspect that there is an on board charger that is to be plugged in to an electrical outlet at the end of each use to keep the batteries in a full charge condition. If there is not an on board charger installed on the boat you will have to connect the trolling battery to a portable charger after EVERY use to keep it in full charge condition.

My boat has an on board charger that is connected to all three of by batteries and I plug this into an electrical outlet at the end of every days use.

A battery that reads 9.0 to 11.0 indicates a dead battery. Your batteries should read in the high 12's or low 13's when fully charged with the charger disconnected. Depending on the charger you have, the reading should be in excess of 14 volts when plugged in and charging.

A battery with a reading of 9.0 to 11.0 ,could indicate a bad battery that needs replaced,you won't know that until you hook it up to a charger and get it to a full charge condition and see if it maintains that full charge condition for a period of time without a load, and that still is not full proof. You will need a load tester to see if the battery will handle a load before you can determine if the battery needs replacement.

Last edited by crappie-hunter; 06-22-2017 at 09:16 AM. Reason: more info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 10:27 AM

With all the crap my boat runs I have 5 batteries. The engines will not even start if the system drops below 11 volts as a safety precaution.
I manage the batteries with a duel switch. 2 of the batteries are just for engine starting and charge back up when the motors are running unless I switch for all batteries to be in the system and this will charge them all up.
Maybe this will help you out a bit How to Install a Marine Dual-Battery System | Boating Magazine

DO NOT try and short cut by just hooking cables from positive to positive and neg to neg, this will work but the problem is if you are using a trolling motor the one battery will back-charge into the other to balance out the draw and you might end up at the end of the day not having enough power to start the engine.

The switch are not that expensive and it also is another way to keep your boat from being started if you do not want them since they sell a model that will lock in the off position.

Good Luck
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

You need to charge the trolling motor battery after every trip.....that's how you get them to last a few years, buy yourself another battery for the trolling motor only and keep them charged up when not in use!

Pa Hunting-It's a natural high!
2D 2F
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtrehntr View Post
1 battery for the motor and all accessories

1 battery for trolling motor only!

2 bank onboard charger and plug in after every trip.

Your motor will charge the starting battery when engine is running, for how long, depends on how far you run! I still use an onboard charger when I get home!

Buy a second deep cycle battery for trolling motor, group27 would be good!

this,

As Charles Barkley says, "I may be wrong, but I doubt it".
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 02:13 PM

solar charger might help?

"one hand clapping" mork from ork
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 05:36 PM
The Man

My boat is set up as described by Realtrehntr.

My old batteries were at least 8 years old. Last year I changed one battery. This year I changed the second one. I use an onboard charger but I also de-sulfate them with a Battery-Minder charger. Check out the reviews on Amazon about the Battery-Minder.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 06:00 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtrehntr View Post
You need to charge the trolling motor battery after every trip.....that's how you get them to last a few years, buy yourself another battery for the trolling motor only and keep them charged up when not in use!
Good point, also Keep them on a Battery Tender

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 10:13 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I would also concur with the advise from Realtrehntr.
I would also install a battery selector switch, which would allow for isolating your main engine starting battery from being drained by the trolling motor, but would also allow for using either or both batteries if you so choose.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page