High Point Lake - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

High Point Lake

I took the yak (kayak) to High Point Lake today which is the highest lake in elevation in Pennsylvania today which is next to Mount Davis which is the highest point in PA.

Even though I only live about 55 north of this place this is the first time I've ever fished it.

I caught a small bass and a real nice size bluegill and I saw another guy catch a beautiful northern pike but that was it. The lake is just full of weeds plus I baked in the sun and called it a day around 12:30 PM.

The horizon is your starting point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 08:52 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

It's not the highest elevation lake in PA but it is pretty high up there at 2482ft. I think it is best known for its ice fishing for pike precisely because of all the weeds you were talking about in the summer.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 09:00 PM

what kinda yak you have rick?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutdoorsman View Post
It's not the highest elevation lake in PA but it is pretty high up there at 2482ft.
Interesting...I thought the PFBC listed this as the lake situated in the highest elevation. After a little research, it turns out that Siebert Lake in Somerset County (same County as High Pint) is the highest lake in elevation with Ganoga Lake in Luzerne County the highest elevated natural lake in PA.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavage View Post
what kinda yak you have rick?
I have a Future Beach Kayak that my wife bought for me for Christmas a couple of years ago. Now that I'm using it a lot and getting around and seeing the other fishing kayaks out, there are better quality yaks out there that have more room and more stable but it is a great starter kayak. I outfitted it with a fish finder and a milk crate for storing.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 07:23 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I just use google earth to check elevations. Ganoga lake sits at 2267ft. Seibert lake sits at 2292ft(but it has been drained and doesn't really exist anymore). High point lake it 2484ft. Theres a big private lake without a name at the headwaters of Isers Run in somerset county that is at 2511ft. Deer Vally Lake is at 2655ft which is only a mile past High Point. Theres a Roberts Lake which is small, more like a pond, in somerset co. at 2713ft. If you count Tahoe Lake in Fayette County at Seven Springs, its at 2973ft. I guess it comes down to what is actually considered a lake. I'm not sure what the size requirements are.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 06:54 PM
The Man

Used to be one of my most favorite lakes until the weeds took over and ruined it. One of the fewer lakes with both smallmouth and largemouth, nice northerns, big brown bullheads, nice sized perch, gills,and sunfish. The weeds have literally ruined I, especially with an electric motor. Can't motor in to the good spots without spending half your time clearing weeds from the prop. Just be careful when on shore. LOTS of rattlesnakes around the area

I gotta go agitate the techies!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Fortunately, I didn't run into any rattlesnakes. The weeds are terrible though. My fisfinder picked up nothing but weeds the whole way out to 16 feet of water and then finally got a clear view once I got into the channel. I trolled for walleye but once I got out of the channel I spent more time cleaning weeds off my hook.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page