Trolling motor help! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Trolling motor help!

So seems like every time i take my new boat out something goes wrong weather or otherwise, i finally get out sunday with the intent of fishing all afternoon til i get some perch and the trolling motor dies. So what happens is when i drop my motor guide 45lb thrust in the water and set it to 4 or 5 and start using it, it starts to slow an almost just stop as if the battery is dead. it does not do this on anything below 3 but i did notice that 3 speed and down it isnt as strong as it normally is. i have had the boat out 4 other times with no issue the battery is still charged the fish finder reads 12.4vlts which is what it always is. After 20 min of searching online on the boat an a phone call i believe the problem is the relay? from what i can see the positive cable coming from the front of the boat to the battery is connected to a relay, about 1.5 inch box tht the + cable attaches to a small terminal then another terminal attaches to the + terminal on the battery, it seems like maybe this went bad since it worked before so i am thinking of replacing it for starters this motor is new barely used the outboard has less then 5hours even. Im no expert on electrical but what is the point of this relay? or whatever tht box is and is it even needed? on my old jon boat i connected the trolling motor right to the battery with the fish finder and had no problems. Should i look at a boating store for a new switch or a better one or can i just direct connect then cables?

From September to April my world revolves around hunting the rest is preseason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

How many batteries you got in the boat? What size are they?

Trolling motors should be ran on a separate 12v dc battery, nothing else hooked to it! Everything else, motor, ff, lights etc, can be ran off the motor battery!

Circuit board may be going bad....take it back to dealer and let them fix it, should be under warranty

Pa Hunting-It's a natural high!
2D 2F
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 02:38 PM
The Man

A charged battery should be putting out about 13.5 volts.

There should not be a relay inline with the battery. There should be a 40 or 50 amp fuse. It should be a fuse that can be reset. Your relay may be a fuse.

It sounds to me that you may be using wiring that is too small. Depending on the distance from the battery to the motor you should use 8 gage or maybe 6 gage wire. If the wire is too thin it will not allow enough current to flow to the motor at higher speeds.

I have a 17' boat with the battery in the stern. I use 6 gage wire to reach the bow mounted trolling motor.

Minnkota has some wire sizing info on their site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

has 2 batteries from what everyone is saying it may be that circuit breaker is too small. I order at new one recommended for the voltage gonna replace it as soon as it comes in an test to see if that was the problem fingers crosses.

From September to April my world revolves around hunting the rest is preseason.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 12:21 PM
Part of the Community

x2 on the inline fuse ( I have had them go bad before) or too small of wire

something is getting hot - could be a bad connection somewhere too. check connection where you plug the trolling motor in. Find where it is the hottest when it goes out.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 03:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to 59Willys
Relay is used to carry large current to something,In your case the trolling motor. A switch cannot carry to much current it will burn up. The on and off switch on your trolling motor carries enough current to open and close the contacts inside the relay.When contacts closes,It completes your circuit that sends FULL battery voltage to you trolling motor on a heavy wire. If it worked before could be bad relay

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page