Live well question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Live well question

This may be a stupid question im not sure this is the first time ive had a boat with a live well, its a 16' lowe stryker with front and back livewell. i took it out the first time and had a plug in the back live well to stop ice water from draining since it is were i had my lunch but the other day i put my dogs water dish in it an didnt have the plug in and when i wnet to get his dish water was flowing up through the hole. Now the way these work to my knowledge or the way the front one work is they have a plug or a piece of pvc pipe tht plugs in so when you fill it the overflow drains the down the pvc an out. only one of the live wells can be filled by the pump at a time and to open the spout there is a small like screw tht u must open to allow the pump to feed in. The front well drains out the side back out near the boat plug an the aerator. So why was water flowing up the back live well hole that it is suppose to drain from? is it something to do with the opening of the in flow water pump or is there just something i am missing i dont know, it wouldt be much of a issues as 9/10 times it will be for food or drinks but if i was to want to ever use it i dont see how i can at this point. Also the bilge pump is for pumping out water that is in the boat like around the motor i have yet to have an water come out the bilge holes when running it after taking it out am i again missing something the saleman that sold me the boat was very nice but wasnt the best and with it an the motor was alot to take in at once.

From September to April my world revolves around hunting the rest is preseason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 12:13 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I always have my live wells plugged unless im draining them. If you leave your livewell drain plug out alot of times it will fill up to the water line of the boat. As for the bilge and getting water in your boat. How much water are you seeing in the bilge area? a small amount of water in the bilge area wont be enough to reach the bilge pump and be pumped out. If you want to test it at home fill the bilge area with some water and activate the pump to make sure it works as it should, Thats also a good way to clean the bilge area.

If you are getting water from your boat plug try these to things. First always take your plug out after fishing, Dont leave it in. And when you go to put it in the boat wet it first, It will seal alot better.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

No water in the bilge area at all i just wasnt sure if i was missing something, well the front live well i cant when still fill up to a point then the over flow goes down the pipe and drains out so i can cycle fresh water into the well but the back one i cant do that because water flows up the drain so if i want to use that well i have to have an aerator in the well i guess. i tried asking the older gentleman that sold me the boat about the aerator at the back of the boat but he kept getting of course in explaining it. there is the plug which i know also make sure is plugged before unloading the boat and there is a bilge hole and the aerator piece i was asking him if that was where the live wells pumped the well water in from or if that had a different use he just kept going back to how to fill the wells.

From September to April my world revolves around hunting the rest is preseason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 11:29 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Live wells are really intended to be just that, and not food storage areas.
Without being plugged, water can enter them under the right circumstances.
Sounds to me as though both of your live wells might not be plumbed as for a pump.
If thats the case, then its simply a container with a below the waterline drain.
Every boat is somewhat different as for design, and each will have its unique design features/faults you must learn.
I personaly don't remove my drain plug after using the boat. That way theres less chance ill forget to re install it. lol
I will on occaision remove it say after some heavy rain, but I always stand right there while the bilge drains, and then re install it.
Its been said that were most concerned over the things we know the least about.
As you become more familiar and relaxed with your boat, your present concerns will no doubt go away.
Also remember weve all done some dumb things, and those who are honest still do occaisionaly.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 06:07 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have a lowe as well and here is how my livewells work. On my console there is a livewell toggle switch to fill the livewells with water. Inside each livewell near the top is white pvc pipe with a valve that you can close, or open to pump water in. My front livewell is always plugged in the bottom and the valve shut off. I use it for extra storage area. In the bottom of each well is the plug, Obviosly this is to drain water once you get the boat on the trailer. At the top of each livewell is an overflow. This is also how alot of lowe boats recirculate water, Simpley let the fill pump run and water will overflow recirculating in some fresher water.

My boat didnt have a recirculation pump when I purchased it, By this I mean I wasnt able to recirculate water in my livewell without pumping new lake water in. I added that feature real fast because of summer time tournaments where I have to ice the water some to bring temps down as well as add a chemical to help keep the fish alive. If i were to pump in new water after doing this I would lose both my cold water, As well as my livewell additive for the fish.

Hopefully this all makes sense. Its alot easier to explain in person. anymore questions feel free to ask. I have a lowe bass boat and although a few years older they are still set up alot the same

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page