Motor Boat Questions? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Motor Boat Questions?

So I have been looking into a new bass boat as my little jon boat is slowing leaking an just too small for me and my friend now that his son is getting older and wants to go its time to upgrade. I have been looking at the bassboats in bass pro but the smallest is 16k and has a recomended 50 hp motor but in pa 20hp is the limit so yea sell boats you cant even use in the state. I really like the 16k one its not too big perfect for my truck plenty of room for 3 ppl or just me and the dog and was on the upper limit of my price range. Since the recommended size is 50 im guessing i cant use a 20hp motor on a boat of that size also i believe the motor is included which means id have to sell it and buy another. As of now my only option is to look i guess for a boat that is made for 20hp motor i just really dont want to get a smaller size like i said i usually with my friend or my dog so i like having room to move. Any info or suggestions?

From September to April my world revolves around hunting the rest is preseason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 07:22 PM

The dealer might swap out a 50 hp for a 20, and adjust the price down. My 16 foot Lund can handle a 50 hp, but I'm running a 9.9 Merc on it at Pymatuning. A twenty will push most fishing boats just fine. Some folks have 2 motors...my buddy has a 70 and 20 hanging on the back of a 16.5 boat. I don't want all the weight, and the boat won't drift straight.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

IMHO, go to a "dealer" and not a bass pro or a cabelas....they should be able to swap that 50hp for a 20hp...especially if they want your business...save some money....if your looking at the tracker line of boats there are independent dealers also which could get better service after the sale.

That 50hp is the "max" horsepower for that boat, so yes you could use a 20hp on it!

Pa Hunting-It's a natural high!
2D 2F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 09:49 PM

As was said go to a dealer. But I have to make sure you understand that there is no max hp for the state of PA. Some bodies of water have hp limitations due to size and other factors. If the body of water you plan to fish most often has a hp restriction then by all means get a boat with a motor you can use.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 05:41 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

There are lots of things to think about when buying a boat. First would be wether you want glass or aluminum. For years I had a 16' very basic glass boat that had a 20hp motor and it was plenty of motor for it.
Carolina Skiff makes some very nice basic boats that are popular all over, but especially here in Florida.
The J series especially is used by bass and other fresh water anglers. A 20 to 25 hp motor would work well on the 15 or 16 ft models. Check out the website.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I am not sure the HP restrictions on the lake I fish often but I want to be able to take it to most of the lakes so I figure staying with the 20hp would be best. I was just gonna look at used ones private deals but everyone seems to have large motors an again just want one I can use statewide without issue. I figured on looking dealer direct I just liked the model at basspro as far as hull I'm thinking aluminum seeming as I want something little more durable an the thought of nicking a rock on the river in a fiberglass boat doesn't sit well with me. The boat I was looking at was 5 person or 445lb max.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 07:50 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

If you have a few brands in mind you can also visit that brands website and build a boat. Lots of good aluminum boat brands out there. Some I would consider checking out would be lowe,express,G3 and alumacraft. I also here the new ranger aluminum boat line is pretty solid for a fair price.

I bought my used lowe a few years ago, I live in a 20hp restricted area so most of the used boats I liked at had 20hp motors on them, Boats dont hold there value at all, Many many good deals out there on used boats if you can find what your looking for.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

What boat are you looking at?

Pa Hunting-It's a natural high!
2D 2F
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I had found a nice one it was a fisher or something asking price was fair an it had a 9.9 motor on it but someone else beat me to it. Im just looking for a nice aluminium bass/ panfish boat. I like to bass fish on lakes an if i get one with a motor that can handle the river i would do some fishing there too. I am currently using a 12' jon boat an its just far to small for two ppl to fish from. Been looking everywhere checking ever site but again the biggest issue is the motor i found one that is perfect but a 40hp motor and i dont want to drop another 2 grand on a smaller motor and since pa game comission sites are so easy to use i cant find out what the motor limit sizes are for the lakes i fish. Other then the one lake i know is a electric motor only.

From September to April my world revolves around hunting the rest is preseason.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 08:41 PM

PA Waters with Special Boating Regulations

This should help you. All the regulations are listed here by county.

All Fish and Boat Commission and Game Commission lakes are restricted to electric motors only. Several larger state park lakes allow motors up to 20 horsepower.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page