outboard advice - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

outboard advice

I would appreciate your opinion on choice of outboard motors, and the reason for choosing them.

In the next week or so I want to purchase a pair of outboards to replace the counter rotating 200 HPs presently on the boat. At this point it’s a toss-up between Mercury and Yamaha 4 strokes.

I am a little concerned about the difference in weight going from the 2 to the 4 stroke. The Yamaha dealer is trying to talk me into moving down to the F150’s, saying they are rated at 166 HP at the prop and they will easily fit on the bracket, the 200 is to wide and would require changing the platform…..that aint happening.
The Mercury dealer said their 200 Verado will fit fine.

Since the money isn’t that much difference my problem is I don’t know much about the Merc’s except that for a few years they were building Yamaha’s 4 strokes.
Both engine repower will require new gauges and Merc has a lot of wireless features I am not to sure about.
Both are offering me a 5 year warranty.
If you have any experiences your input would be appreciated.

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 02:57 PM
Banned

Re: outboard advice

Birch.. Both are quality motor's.. I've had both. a 200 Hp Merc and a 50 Yamaha... Both ran great, with little or no problem's. Everyone will have their own opinion's for whatever reason's due to past experience. Myself, if I were re-powering I think I'd go with Yamaha's.. In your case you know your boat. Will the 150's be enough engine? If so then with the gas price's what they are I'd get them. If you feel they might lack in power, your dilemma with engine size may dictate the Merc's.. Which ever, GOOD LUCK...
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 05:00 PM
Part of the Community

A friend of mine has a Verado and it seems to have some electrical issues with things like the coil going out. I would try to find a reputable Marine Mechanic who does not sell motors and get some info from him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 02:31 AM
Frequent Contributor

Birch,

I dont think you can go wrong with either one but if the Merc will go on with less mods they would be my choice.

I have been running a Merc four stroke for the last four years and love it.

That being said my new boat has a Yamaha 250 four stroke with 6 year warranty. So far so good. Give me another year or so with the Yam and i'll tell how i like it.

You wont know how to act going from two to four stroke. Quiet no smelly smoke no oil to add or mix. And the best part you will burn less fuel.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 02:39 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
except that for a few years they were building Yamaha’s 4 strokes.
I think it was the other way around Yamaha was building some of Merc's Four Strokes.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 01:40 AM

What kinda boat you putting them on ?

The Merc fly by wire controls are sweet. Lots of thumbs up from the guys that I know who have that option.

I'm a Yammi fan but would put Mercs on anyday. Been running Yammies for over 20 years on 3 different boats all twins except for my latest Grady.

Do yourself a BIG Favor. Post this question on the HULLTRUTH website. Much greater knowledge on there.

Personally I would go with the more Horsepower if your running OffShore.

If a Lake boat the 150"s would be fine ,I guess ,dont know what kinda boat your repowering.

But Lake boating is a far cry from Ocean running where sometimes you need all the ponies you can muster up

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

I am repowering a 25’ Grady White Sailfish.
Only complaint I had with the twin 200 Yamahas that are on there now is the smell and they chew thru fuel like water.
I waited this long to change over to 4 strokes in hopes they would get lighter. I looked into changing 5 years ago but was worried about the added weight and the dealer told me I was going to have to replace the platform to accommodate their width, and wanted to replace both fuel tanks to ensure there would be no ethanol issues. At that point it was going to be close to 50K with everything, and that was more then I was willing to go.

The fly by wire on the Mercs was what I was most worried about. The 200 Verado’s are 510 [email protected] and the out the door turn key price for everything is around 3500 more then the F150 Yamahas would be.
I am worried going with the Yamahas will under power the boat; the present motor gets the boat on step with 202 gal of fuel and 4 people at 48 MPH at 5300 RPM.

I had looked at other websites about the weight issues but didn’t think of the “hull truth’
I have to do something soon either way of the added incentives and extended warranty deals on both end the 31st of March.

Thanks for the advice.

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 02:15 PM
The Man

Just out of curiosity......... why have you ruled out the E-Tec??

demokraten saugen
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Until I brought the Yamahas I was always a Johnson/Evenrude guy, but when Johnson went out and Evenrude was left on its own they really went down hill. Even after Bombardier brought them out it seems like the quality just wasn’t there.
I have a Sea Doo and Can-Am and am very happy with them but known to many people that still have major problems with the Evenrude lines.

If it wasn’t for the problem of needing the platform replaced and needing to have all the scuppers relocated due to the extra weight I would have just stuck with the Yamaha’s.
When I went to the boat show I got talking with the Merc rep and that’s how the Verado entered the picture.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 06:07 PM
Frequent Contributor

The new Yamahas are fly by wire also.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page