Trailer bearings - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Trailer bearings

Hello all,

I was just wondering how often you change out your wheel bearings?

I put a new set on when I got the trailer(12 years ago), once a year, I pull the wheels,inspect, and grease. The general rule of thumb on another site says change them every year, but nobody can answer me why. I maybe put 200-300 miles on it a year, and don't see a point in changing them.

Internet quotes are great, but most are untrue. "Thomas Jefferson"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 02:50 PM

Re: Trailer bearings

I only put about 50 miles a year on my boat trailer, hopefully once in in April and once out in December and I still change my bearings out every 3rd year.
My trailer is a tri-axle but I also have buddy bearings and grease them every time the trailer is moved.
The amount of miles isn't what hurts them, its the saltwater and the sitting around that does the damage. Even using OEM bearings and greasing when I change them out I notice pitting and rust on the races. I would rather spend what breaks down to $50.00 a season and 2 hours of my time in the comfort of my driveway changing bearings then changing them along the parkway or waiting for a tow. Another thing that will make you feel changing bearings is a cheap deal, check out the price on replacing a spindle.

Good Luck

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 03:09 PM
Banned

I would change mine every two or three years and I used bearing buddies and kept them full of grease. If you get your wheels in salt water, especially when the wheels are hot, it draws in water as the water cools the bearings so changing them before you know you have a problem is cheap insurance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice guys, my boat's never seen salt water,lol, but I think I'll start changing them at 4 years max.

Does anybody know if you can get bearing buddies for the old(late 50's) spindle style hubs?

I have a 12' jon, but was given a trailer 12 years ago with a 17' fiberglass tub with the 57' chevy fins. I scrapped the boat, and re-fabed the trailer to snugly hold 1/3 the weight it was designed for, with a nice long tounge to boot.

Internet quotes are great, but most are untrue. "Thomas Jefferson"
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 04:35 PM
Banned

Here is their website, call them and ask them.

http://www.bearingbuddy.com/

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 07:45 PM
Regular Visitor

I can't speak to a trailer that old. But I have had 3 different boats over the last 20 years. I only perform routine maintenace on my trailer bearings and have never had an issue. Last year I put approx 4000 miles on a trailer 20 years old and have not had an issue. Maybe I'm due for major failure but I think it would have already happened. Re pack every few years and keep the buddies full and you should be good.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 10:52 PM

I keep mine greased up and have bearing buddies. I change them every two years just to be on the safe side. We usually make two trips a year to Quebec and the last 70 miles of road we go in on is dirt and every year the Beaver have a couple of spots that are like small lakes to go thru.

Black Labs
Shoot Straight--Hunt Safe
Life Member NRA
Life Member N.A.H.Club
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 11:20 PM
Part of the Community

How do you get the bearing buddies out? If I remember correctly I has to tap them in with a hammer and a board

Didn't put enough dirt down....saw it, right off
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 10:15 PM

Soft hammer light taps

Black Labs
Shoot Straight--Hunt Safe
Life Member NRA
Life Member N.A.H.Club
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 02:42 AM

walk them out. With your hammer, gently hit upwards at the 6 o'clock position, then hit downwards at the 12 o'clock position. Alternate up from the bottom and down from the top. It will walk itself out nicely. Don't hit them hard enough to dent; a wood block can cushion the blows.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page