Registering Boat - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Registering Boat

Wondering if anybody can help me with this. I have a john boat that I was given probably about 15 years ago and have never used it. I want to get a trailer for it this spring and start using it. I shouldnt' have ever been titled and it doesn't appear that it ever had a PA registration on it. All I have is the ID number of the plate on the back. Will I be able to register this boat given that I dont' have a bill of sales for it and i'm pretty sure that the person who gave me the boat passed away. I use to mow this guys camp yard and he let me have the boat? Any help would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 01:44 PM

Re: Registering Boat

I'm fairly certain since it was never registered or titled that you can.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yes you will need to declar a 'cost/pric" and pay sales tax on that amount 6%. If it is old I just say $100 and give the PBFC the $6. They will take anything as a receipt.

If it was registered the BIN you give them will trigger and then you may need an affidavit. they also sometimes check with the prior owner to see if it was stolen.
Usually no problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 11:34 AM
The Man

I've been down this road before. Harry is right on above for starters.

Before you go buy a trailer I would go to anyplace than can register a boat. Not all notories do boat registration. There is a section on the application to fill out if you don't have the owners card. It will take some time as the PF&BC will try to send the last person that had it registered a letter asking if it had been sold. It is there way to ward off registering a stolen boat. Not sure what will happen if the previous person to register it has passed away.

My grandfather was given a boat about 10 years back that came from another state. He ended up giving it to a farmer that had a good sized farm pond.

Venison - The other fast food
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 01:00 PM
Banned

A couple of years ago I sold a duck boat for the widow of a friend of mine. I had the registration card and the widow had to fill out a questionaire afirming the owner had died. The guy I sold it to had no problem getting it registered. If anyone has questions about it, call the F&B Commission boat licensing dvision, they were very helpful walking me through the process.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page