9.9 2stroke vs 20 4stroke - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

9.9 2stroke vs 20 4stroke

I have a merc 9.9 2stroke on my 16 foot deep vee. I was pleasantly surprised how well it performed eeven with 3 people. How much more ooomph is a 20 4stroke going to have on the same boat? I have been told 4 strokes don't perform like 2 strokes? Better idle, quieter, better on gas but not the power?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 10:15 PM

I'd disagree. A 20 4 stroke is going to plane quicker and increase your top end. It'll weigh a touch more but overall it'll perform far superior to the 9.9.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 12:42 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

If you like the 2 stroke another option would be the carb swap on your 9.9 to make it a 15hp. The performance increase would be very good and alot cheaper then buying another motor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 07:29 PM
Part of the Community

It also depends on how you fish if you troll downwind with a 2 stroke you might as well smoke a pack of cigarettes. As far as oomph it might add one or 2 mph it isn't worth it if your motor runs well. Now if your buying new 4 stroke all the way quiet, no fumes and no mixing. When my dad did our 70's Johnson 9.9 carb to a 15 we thought 1/3rd more speed... nope just 1/3rd more gas.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassnleo View Post
I'd disagree. A 20 4 stroke is going to plane quicker and increase your top end. It'll weigh a touch more but overall it'll perform far superior to the 9.9.
That makes sense to me. I'm probably going to get a new 20 hp merc, seems like it should make a good package. And legal in the lakes around here.
nomad_archer likes this.

Pence/Putin 2024
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 07:25 PM

Buy a 20hp Tothatsu. Tothatsu makes the 20 HP Mercury, so all your doing is paying more for a sticker
nomad_archer likes this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 08:32 AM
Frequent Contributor

I went from a 9.9 Johnson with a 15hp carb. to a 20hp johnson both 1980's two strokes.What a difference!Went from going 14mph(with prop guard) to 24mph no prop guard.The 15hp did go faster before the prop guard was on, but would not be as fast as the 20hp.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 12:15 PM
Frequent Contributor

A 20hp merc 4 stroke is a carbureted 4 stroke. The carbed 4 strokes are total junk. Hesitates, have not seen one that didn't and just a poor motor. Find something that is fuel injected or you will not be happy. Or find a 2 stroke 20 merc,much better motor.

Redheads- 2
Blondes-4
Brunettes-1
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 12:59 PM

I will only peak about the 2 stroke vs 4 stroke motors.

I had 2 200 HP Yamaha's on my boat and changed them out for 2-200 Mercury Verado's.
I needed to watch the added weight the 4 strokes had since the Yammies would have been close to 200 lbs total heavier then the Mercs and would have partially submerged my self bailing scuppers on the deck.

Performance wise they move a 28' Grady through a 2' chop at 50 MPH, they have more alternator to keep battery's charged no matter how much electronics I am running and the fuel economy is what I was after.
With the 2 strokes I was getting less than 1 MPG but the 4 strokes are getting me 1.6 MPG.
At idle you cannot hear the 4 stroke run and there is zero emission smell.
Downside is much of the routine maintenance I did to the old motors I have the dealer take care of and it is not cheap.
Still when I look at my savings in fuel it still out ways the dealers costs.

The shape and design of the boat influences more the speed and way the boat handles than the power-plant on it.
4 Strokes are getting cheaper to purchase every year so if you need to buy a new motor go 4 stroke but if the old one is running well, wait till it wont run anymore before you upgrade. Maybe by then you will buy a complete package of boat, motor and trailer.

Good Luck
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

I do want an alternator, thats one reason i'd like to upgrade to a newer motor. And although we're talking about a much smaller boat, improved feul economy would be nice, more for the convience than dollar savings. I can get a 20 hp merc or tahotsu for around $3k, anything feul injected will be a grand more, so i'll probably be sticking with a carb.

Pence/Putin 2024

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page