starting battery fuse - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

starting battery fuse

what size/type fuse should i have running from the motor? i have the 50 elpto wired to the starting battery then my other accessories with an inline fuse...my question is what size fuse should be on the inline ( i think it said 35) is that right? i have fishfinder/running lights/bilge/radio runniing to the starting battery...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 07:03 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: starting battery fuse

You need to add up ALL the amp ratings of the devices you have being fed from that battery.

12 volt trolling motors usually draw 40-50 amps max
running lights figure 5-10 amps
bilge 5 amps
radio? figure 5 amps (unless it is a blaster stero?

You want the fuse to be slightly larger than the total.

so a 50-70 amp would be the range.

Remember...that fuse is only going to protect the trolling motor at best. If your sonar starts to draw twice the rated current, it will melt befor blowing that large fuse.

Best thing to do would be to run a 50 amp (or whatever the max current for yoour trolling motor is plus a little over) in an inline fuse for ONLY the trolling motor.

Then run from the battery to a 4 circuit fuse panel with a fuse for each device.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

my trolling motor is on two seperate batteries and independent inline fuses for each battery...35amp-50amp fuses...my starting battery has radio/fishfinder/bilge/running lights and it has an line fuse also but at the console i have a seperate push button fuse for running lights and bilge and horn...so i assume really the only things running to the starting battery is the radio? and the fishfinder, correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

every thing should be separately fused. and it sounds like yours are. The radio often has a in-line fuse right at the back.

Many fish finder Sonar units want the cable to be run directly to the battery, not thru a panel or with other circuits that could cause interference. If yours is wired that way; there should be fuse in-line close to the unit or a twist fuse on the fron or rear of the sonar unit.

Some people like to run the sonar unit to the non-starting battery, especially on outboards, as the charging current from the running motor has a very poor quality. What battery you connect what load to doesn't matter except as above.

I have dual batteries with an A_B switch to cross connect the batteries for individual running and charging, can also start on "both". I like that system.

One thing to remember in all this wiring, every connection needs to be secure (and taped or inside a rubber insulated boot). loose connections cause sparking....with gas vapors that is a Ka-Boom.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page