hauling a canoe in a short-bed pickup - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

hauling a canoe in a short-bed pickup

Does anyone on here know what the law is,pertaining to hauling a canoe in the bed of a pickup truck? How long can the load extend past the end of the truck bed? I'm trying to figure out my options for carrying a 14.5 ft canoe. I have a Nissan crew cab pickup with the short bed. I am looking at a rack that Cabela's sells,it goes into the trailer hitch,and can be angled upwards to hold the back end of the canoe level with the top of the cab. If anyone knows of any other options,please let me know. Or post a pic if you have a similar setup.
Thanks.
Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 08:02 PM

Re: hauling a canoe in a short-bed pickup

Years ago when I worked at a lumber yard , we flagged anything close to 4 feet beyond the tailgate . How much can something stick out past the tailgate even if you flag it ? I'm not sure .
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 09:30 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

if you have cab high support in the rear, cushion the roof and put the front out over top the windshield a bit and tie it fast. I hauled a 16 ft canoe on a long bed s-10, a c-5 jeep and several compact cars with no problems.

Pool Noodles make great pads, cheap

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to pry them out of the developments!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

wis bang,that's basically what I had in mind,and probably the safest way to haul it. Thanks for the pool noodle idea,they will be way cheaper than buying the canoe foam blocks. I might even have some laying around,from when my grandkids were younger!

Bob
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 10:57 PM

do you have a utility trailer ?? haul it upside down on the trailer ??
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 04:40 AM

No matter what Flag it... cheap 5$ flag will save you money and hassle in the long run... heck use an old rag or part of a small game vest that is trashed...
Better safe then sorry with an extra 4 mins of work.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 03:55 PM
Part of the Community

Bob,

I hauled boats across the state and back dozens of times with my Nissan Frontier. I had a factory rack on it which was worthless. Every other truck I've owned I had used Thule racks. They can be had reasonably cheap second hand. I like a cap on a pick up, with this truck & the factory rack I could not haul anything with out it because of how narrow the factory rack was. Here's an instance where I have a 16' & a 13' boat loaded. In your case you'd have your racks on the cab of the truck, unlike how I have mine on the cap. You will have plenty of spread between the racks on the cab. Tie the front of the boats off to the front bumper & your in business.

Heres a photo of the Frontier & my F250, which is more applicable to your situation. Those boats are rock solid & I've driven many of miles at 80MPH with no issues.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 03:25 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
§ 4924. Limitations on length of projecting loads.

(a) General rule.--Subject to the provisions of this subchapter limiting the length of vehicles and loads, the load upon any vehicle or the load upon the front vehicle of a combination of vehicles shall not extend more than three feet beyond the foremost part of the vehicle, and the load upon any vehicle operated alone or the load, other than a nondivisible load, upon the rear vehicle of a combination shall not extend more than six feet beyond the rear of the bed or body of such vehicle.

(b) Red flags and lights.--If the load on any vehicle extends more than four feet beyond the rear of the vehicle, a red flag or cloth not less than 12 inches square shall be displayed at the end of the load. During hours of darkness, a red light shall be displayed in the same position in lieu of the flag or cloth.

(c) Compliance with maximum length limitations.--Subsection (a) does not permit loads to exceed the maximum limits set forth in section 4923 (relating to length of vehicles).
6' flagged.

http://www.dmv.pa.gov/Information-Centers/Laws-Regulations/Pages/PA-Vehicle-Code-(Title-75).aspx

Every day you see it on the news. Another felons life needlessly spared by inaccurate fire.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in