Fishing boat questions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Fishing boat questions

I need some help here from boaters, I have been looking into buying a boat for some time and now that my brothers are getting older i was gonna give my dad back his 12' jon boat I have been using for the past 8ish years. So i feel its time to buy my own and after paddling an using a trolling motor on the 12 footer i want to upgrade to a little bit bigger boat. I tend to go fishing in hanover alot an smaller lakes for what ever im in the mood for i just enjoy being on the lake. I would how ever like to start some fishing on the susky for cats an bass but ive never had a motor large enough to safely operate in fast current. I have been looking at every boat along the road for sale an searching online. So my question are as follows.
-V-bottom or flat? for lakes and on the river is the v bottom not a good choice?
-motor size? i am unsure of the size outboard motor to look for more so for the river.

Im not new to boating i got my license when i was 17 in delware so i could operate my grandfathers pontoon boat in the Chesapeake. I rather like how bass boats have a flater higher surface i dont like sitting low in the boat an prefer to fish standing i have seen a v bottom boat tht is flat inside the hull. Any info would be great thanks.

From September to April my world revolves around hunting the rest is preseason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 05:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Fishing boat questions

If you want to fish the river but want to be fine out on PA's normal lakes, something like a Lowe Roughneck with a 50/35 horse jet (with the prop conversion) will be a good start (unless you want to fish restricted lakes). But, if you can safely fish the river without the jet then I'd get a boat with just the prop. The 16' Roughneck or similar with a 20 hp will be just fine. Never fished the Susky so I can't help you on whether a jet would be the right propulsion or not.

Suburban redneck.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 06:30 PM

This would be a nice boat if your looking to fish rivers and do a little saltwater too.http://www.carolinaskiff.com/boats/c...eries/17-jv-cc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 06:50 PM
Frequent Contributor

What's your price range...you want new or used?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 08:04 PM

You'll get a lot of different opinions on boats. I prefer a deep-v aluminum with a front casting deck. Deep-v's take rough water a lot nicer than semi-v's or flat bottoms. I also prefer a tiller motor over a console. To me, consoles take up too much room in smaller boats that could be used otherwise (cooler, minnow cooler, etc).

A buddy of mine has a Carolina Skiff J16 like birch posted above, and while it is a nice boat, it doesn't take rough water (like Pymatuning) very well, and you do get wet alot in it. Also, they are very narrow boats, and no room for rod lockers on the sides.

Another plus for the deep-v's over semi-v's or flat bottoms, is that you can set them up with rod holders for trolling.

My 16 1/2' Lowe Angler is perfect for us. Can fish for crappies all day long, or put the rod holders in and be trolling for walleyes in a matter of minutes.

Good luck in your search.

6 Superbowl Champion STEELERS, 5 World Series Champion PIRATES, 4 Stanley Cup Champion PENGUINS!!!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 01:38 AM
The Man

[quote=hi_tech_redneck]A buddy of mine has a Carolina Skiff J16 like birch posted above, and while it is a nice boat, it doesn't take rough water (like Pymatuning) very well, /quote]

They are fiberglass and fiberglass does not mix well with rocks. Susquehanna = rocks.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Im looking at a 14' alum v bottom this week the current owner just used a large trolling motor with it but im planning on looking into a small outboard motor. It has a modified inside so its a flat surface with seats which was what i was looking for since i like to stand while fishing plus my dog can come along. I dont plan on fishing the rocky sections of the river but it would be nice to fish the calmer sections. Im looking into a 10hp an under since i dont want to spend over a grand on a motor just yet.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 11:31 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

If I was doing a large amount of fishing down on the Susquehanna with some hit and miss lakes, I'd be looking at rockproofboats.com or a firefish boat as a starting spot. I've got a 20' fiberglass ski and fish with a 175 on it. Great for all the lakes that I fish, but I'm real careful when I hit the river. I've seen video footage of those river jets doing some amazing things in rocky bottoms.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

thinkin more so lakes then anything, looking into a 14' v bottom this week and stopping by to look at a 4hp 82' johnson motor nothing new or fancy but really just need something to move the boat faster then a trolling motor from one spot to the next. wasnt sure since it is an older motor but seems like lots of the small older johnson motors are still round figured might be worth a look.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 02:18 PM

[QUOTE=Dogface]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_tech_redneck
A buddy of mine has a Carolina Skiff J16 like birch posted above, and while it is a nice boat, it doesn't take rough water (like Pymatuning) very well, /quote]

They are fiberglass and fiberglass does not mix well with rocks. Susquehanna = rocks.

He fishes lakes only, but rocks are another reason to have an aluminum boat.

6 Superbowl Champion STEELERS, 5 World Series Champion PIRATES, 4 Stanley Cup Champion PENGUINS!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page