Please be a little mindful to other boaters - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Please be a little mindful to other boaters

seems to me as everytime I go out fishing, there's just skiers, amped up bass boats (250hp) and jet boats flying right beside me or other bass boats while anchored( definitely less than 100 feet which is illegal) I don't mind a little motion in the ocean but when my GF and I are holding on for dear life, all my equipment getting SOAKED from wakes splashing in, and another boat with a older gentlemen hanging on tightly (using words not approved my moderators) and giving the finger, there is the problem. Anyone who enjoys boating of any kind please be carful, you don't have to go that fast, that close.

2E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 02:38 PM

Re: Please be a little mindful to other boaters

Where was this? As kayaker and jet bass boat owner, I do see some foolish behavior out there. I have seen kayaks anchored in the only available channel for boats to navigate through. I have also seen disrespectful boat owners driving too close to other boats for no good reason.

TRUMP '16
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Yes kayaks being anchored in the only route Is not smart nor courteous to boats, but I don't think it's almost enough to throw the boaters over board. It's at every lake I've been to this year (fishing for Muskie). Me being 20 I had to take that boaters exam to get a certificate to operate a boat because our "young age" needs to be tought properly when I see more older gentleman doing it but there are guys my age too. I feel bad for guys with the little aluminum boats, I bet that's a ride in that from the wakes. Absolutely ignorant

2E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 04:02 PM
The Man

I saw what you're talking about just this past week. Had the family up at the beach on Kinzua Dam right at the route 59 bridge. Probably about 20 people out swimming in the roped off area. About a third of the motor boats that came by zipped over as close as they could get to the swim area, I assume to look at bikinis, but who knows. Anyway, they were just ripping by, some even sped up maybe to try to impress someone??? Sent some pretty big waves into the swimmers, some of whom were pretty small kids, my 2 1/2 year old son being one of them. There were three kayakers paddling around not much further out than the swim area ropes, some fishing some just paddling. Every one of them came in and said the heck with it with all the waves. This was on a weekday. I'd hate to see a weekend.
One smaller aluminum boat came up the far shoreline with planer boards out, trolling the shoreline. He crossed the lake and came to our side. As he crossed, three different boats passed him and not one of them cut him any slack by giving a wide berth. Two of them were even waving their arms and yelled stuff at him.
What a circus. Kinda entertaining at certain points. Really just indicative overall of how little regard people have for others anymore.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 05:54 PM
The Man

If you don't see at least five or more violations or just plain idiotic actions on Lake Raystown every weekend, you'd have to be blind! That and weekends on the Ohio river too. "here's your sign!!" applies constantly.

I gotta go agitate the techies!
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I guess bigger/faster the boat the more you own of the lake over everyone else !!! Get out of here. Even after getting soaked in my own boat along with equipment (that wasn't cheap) I still felt more sorry for the older fella in the boat across the channel from us, he look like he was in his 60's. He grabbing his swivel seat like a bear holding on till the waves past, about threw all of us out our boats( we were standing and he was too) I like to horse around a litthe when the fishin slow and I'm not disturbing people's day off, but it's about safety more than staying exactly 100 feet away from a stationary boat. You should do it to be courteous, not because it's the law.

2E
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 07:33 PM

I just purchased a 24' Pontoon this year and it resides in Lake Wallenpaupack. You can only fish early in the morning or all night. I have weekday days off, but, on Saturday and Sunday, LOOK OUT. I almost had a wave runner in my boat last two weekend's ago. A lot has to do with alcohol sometimes. When my GF was pulling me on a tube, and boat with a wakeboarder came right at her, and missed me barely by 25 feet. On the weekends up there, I hide in a canal where we are safe to swim. If I see folks fishin, I go hundreds of feet from them so I don't disturb them.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

That would be hard for me to keep my mouth quite if that happened to me hack that's just plain carelessness, what a shame

2E
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 11:04 PM
The Man

I carry a pair of binos and a marine radio with me when on the water. I will report anyone I can get info on, and am willing to go to court if necessary.

I gotta go agitate the techies!
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Where can you get one of those marine radios at? Sounds good to me, I'm tired of careless people treating us like we're not even there, not only me and anyone with me on the boat, but other boaters as well trying to relax without wondering when he next tsunami was gunna hit our boats

2E

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page