Tunnel Boats - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Tunnel Boats

Thinking of buying a tunnel boat. Any issues I should know about?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 07:19 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Tunnel Boats

go with the widest boat you can find. i have a sea ark outlaw 1884 and i can run about 30mph with a 45 hp 2 stroke jet. I found mine on the harrisburg craigslist but it was purchased at duckys boats in middletown originally. the only negative report i have heard about tunnel hulls is cavitation in rough water.

Catch Photo Release
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 08:44 PM

I'm not sure about the term tunnel boats,but
I have owned 2 penn yans that feature a tunnel drive system.
meaning the hull is tunneled, half enclosing a prop powered by an inboard marine engine.

Da hawk ate my baby!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 08:32 PM

I had a 14ft prop tunnel Jon n could run pretty shallow with the motor up. But not as shallow as a jet which is what I have now. A cupped prop will get u the best performace but you can do ok with a regular prop by setting the outboard up with a jack plate to get a nice mix of speed and shallow water capabilities. Mine would go as fast as I care to go with a 30hp tiller outboard lol.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 12:47 PM
Part of the Community

Location: Melbourne Beach, FL & The Mon Valley area of Pittsburgh

I've owned a couple from small 15'aluminum boats w/25hp w a 2" tunnell to bigger bay boats running 150's with 9-10" tunnels that run half the lenght of the hull. Depends on use. a couple of things to consider........add a jack plate to optimize motor height. If running shallow a lot consider an auxilary water pick up as you boat itself will push a lot of water away from the pickup ports. If buying an aluminum boat under 20' the tunnel will do you no harm at all but be there if you decide it is advantageous. Big glass boats a litte bumpier and slide a bit more in fast turns. PM me if you have more specific concerns, Hope this helps
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 06:01 PM
Part of the Community

I'm running an G3 1860 CCJ jet tunnel now. I have had both kinds of outboad jet boats, tunneled and non-tunneled. Jets work amazing with the correct tunnel. A jet tunnel is small. I will never own a non-tunneled jet again, so many advantages. No issues.

I have not owned a prop tunnel, but just allow you to run little shallower. Prop tunnels are much larger and carry alot of the issues that guys complain about. if you try to put a jet on a prop tunnel boat. But evey boat is different.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 06:10 PM
Part of the Community

I saw some other posts on Cavitation. With the correct tunnel and Jet setup, you get far LESS Cavitation. Tunnels feed water to the Jet.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 09:14 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaTrophyMan
I'm running an G3 1860 CCJ jet tunnel now. I have had both kinds of outboad jet boats, tunneled and non-tunneled. Jets work amazing with the correct tunnel. A jet tunnel is small. I will never own a non-tunneled jet again, so many advantages. No issues.

I have not owned a prop tunnel, but just allow you to run little shallower. Prop tunnels are much larger and carry alot of the issues that guys complain about. if you try to put a jet on a prop tunnel boat. But evey boat is different.
Does the jet foot stick below the boat with a jet tunnel, if so, how much hangs below the boat ?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 02:18 PM
Part of the Community

With a correct motor/tunnel set up. None at all, even trimmed down the whole way. I say correct because i have seen improperly designed tunnels that had to have the jet foot partially exposed below the bottom in order to get water to the jet. when i trim mine up to reach Top MPH, the bottom of the jet foot is 2" above the bottom of the boat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page