River Boat Front Console - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

River Boat Front Console

Presently I have a 16 foot aluminum john boat with a 60 jet, side console in the rear. I would like to change to a different boat but having difficulty finding one in our area of central PA or on the web. I am looking for a 16-18 foot aluminum john boat and will use my existing motor HOWEVER, I want one with the console as far forward as possible. I am a big guy so the existing boat has trouble getting up on plane. I thought sitting forward rather in the rear would make the boat run better and I could see better. I am having trouble finding a supplier and would appreciate your direction if you should know one. Also are their any issues concerning a forward console that I do not know about. Thanks much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 03:55 PM

Re: River Boat Front Console

A lot of companies have them as options these days. Are you looking to buy new or used? If you went with a 18 you will want more motor most likely. I have a 17' g3 Center Console, not the forward console though, and a 90/65 on it, and I wouldn't want less motor. With jets it's all about weight distribution, so you're defeinitely on the right path. As far as new boats, G3 has a nice line of CCJ (forward center console jet boats), and I know a few other companies have em. You'll probably find that most forward CC boats will be tunnel hulls as well. I saw a nice duracraft for sale in the Lancaster area not too long ago, but it's a complete package.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thank you so much lwrsusq for your reply. Do you have a tunnel hull? Any issues with a tunnel hull? I use my boat on the Susq up by Danville and the only issue I really have with a jet motor is those dead leaves in the fall floating down the river and clogging up the input. How wide is boat? Do you suggest a width? Does anyone else have any suggestions? Thanks so much for your help.
Kapaa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 12:21 PM

I do not have a tunnel hull. They allow you to run shallower, and for that area that is definitely a plus. I run mine all the way from Annapolis up through the Juniata. I chose not to go with a tunnel hull so that I can handle rough water a little better. Tunnels tend to cavitate more in chop, and on the bay I encounter that a lot obviously. Having said that, I have shattered my jet foot on a rock already, and done some other damage to it, so it goes both ways. Mine is a 1756, and I love the size of it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapaaPA
Presently I have a 16 foot aluminum john boat with a 60 jet, side console in the rear. I would like to change to a different boat but having difficulty finding one in our area of central PA or on the web. I am looking for a 16-18 foot aluminum john boat and will use my existing motor HOWEVER, I want one with the console as far forward as possible. I am a big guy so the existing boat has trouble getting up on plane. I thought sitting forward rather in the rear would make the boat run better and I could see better. I am having trouble finding a supplier and would appreciate your direction if you should know one. Also are their any issues concerning a forward console that I do not know about. Thanks much.
Just a question. Is your outboard 60 at the jet or a 60 hp head? I have a 16 foot Tracker Grizzly, front and back decks which I installed, 24 volt trolling motor, 3 batteries total, and a tiller 40/30 jet. My boat easily gets on plane and runs 28-29 mph with me alone, 22-24 with 2 guys. I weigh 170.
if it is a 60 at the jet, could your motor not be set in an optimal position to achieve proper performance. I'd think a 60 jet should easily plane a 16 foot boat. I've also owned a Lowe 1652 VPT with a 35 jet and 1852 VPT with an 80 jet and both would easily plane with 1 guy. The 1852 would plane with 3 guys and a load of gear. Both of those boats were side console.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 08:37 PM

If your not set on the idea of a new boat you could always buy a new console and have it rigged into ur existing boat. I'm sure that would be considerably cheaper than a new body.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page