Floor over gas and battery ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Floor over gas and battery ?

I have a Tracker Grizzly and got some diamond plate alum. scraps from work for free. I made two panels one for each side and will support them with alum. angle on the back of the bench and transom. How much should I worry about venting for the tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Re: Floor over gas and battery ?

I guess this was a stupid ? I think what I'm going to do is get a piece of peg board or some thing else perforated and drill a pattern trough out the panels to vent the area to prevent fumes.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 07:37 PM

I don't think the store bought models have ventilation.... You could always take a walk around a local dealer to see how theirs are set up. Just act like you're buying.
Or, just to be safe, do as you say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 10:08 PM
Sage

You will need a blower ventilation system if your gas is below decks. Gasoline fumes will not vent up on their own.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 10:27 PM

While most on-board tanks have a vent on the side of the boat if you are going to enclose something that was not previously the 50 bucks for a vent motor and switch is a cheap investment.
Good Luck
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Here's what I have so far. I drilled 68 1/4" holes in each panel(136 total).
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 11:34 PM

I would still put in a bilge blower, gas fumes are heavier thann atmosphere and will hang in the lowest section of the boat.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 11:31 AM
Sage

All those holes are going to do is allow water to drain into the bilge, gasoline fumes are heavier that air which means they will sink to the bottom of the boat and the holes you drilled will not vent them. If you have any wiring connections under the deck (floor) there is a chance of a spark and then boom! You need a spark protected bilge blower and a vent connected to the blower somewhere above deck to get rid of any fumes that may be in the bilge. I saw a boat blow up because they had gas in the bilge, the owner turned the key to start the boat and boom. It can and does happen. You have a cheat fix available you should use it.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

John I'm going to drill the the holes out to 1/2" just for sure and add more around the perimeter as well as directly over the fill/vent cap. Currently there is a hole every 2". I've been thinking of putting two or three holes through floor over keels in front the rear bench with 2-3" removable vent caps to increase natural ventilation as well as make easier to rinse out.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 02:37 PM

If your intending to use the small holes as vents you need to put a scoop somewhere forward that will force air down into the bilge to move the fumes up and out.
This works when underway, but won't help much when you sat out on the lake/river for several hours and all that shiney metal you installed heats us like a skillet from the sun causing your fuel tanks to expand and vent in an enclosed area.
You might save money by not buying a bilge fan but the amount of work you are spending trying to modify the situation is hardly worth the time.
I saw several boats sittling at the dock go up when the driver hit the key and something below deck sparks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page