Loss of young forests, West Nile dooming ruffed grouse in PA - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Loss of young forests, West Nile dooming ruffed grouse in PA

https://www.bayjournal.com/article/d...forest_habitat
fall gobbler and Marcus99 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 11:21 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Maybe this will make people and governments get serious about creating early-successional cover.
fall gobbler likes this.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 02:11 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer Rage View Post
Maybe this will make people and governments get serious about creating early-successional cover.
I highly doubt it. How long have we been talking about the lack of early successional forests? Forever! I remember the foresters talking about having our State forests and GLs looking like a patchwork quilt of all age groups of growth way back in the Gary Alt days on TV. They knew and stressed how important it was for all wildlife....yet here we still are...behind, way behind.

I'm sure we'll hear all the excuses of why we can't get to where we should be, just like we've been hearing for the last 20 years.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 07:19 AM
The Man

The GC doesn't really care as long as the deer hunters are happy with seeing lots of deer. And most deer hunters like to hunt mature forests where they can see a long way to see deer. True grouse hunters in Pa probably total less than 1000 so we are at the bottom of the list of all hunters in Pa.

If you look at SF's there are some that are really pushing timbering, but like the GC, its regional and controlled but managers of those local SF's.

Timbering on NF's is a crime. I hunted WV in late February, you are lucking if 1% of that land is in ESH, and 20 acres is a big cut. Friend told me about a big project that was well along in its proposal for the area we hunted. Couple weeks later, the tree huggers shut it down. Don't look at NF's to increase timbering.

The bright spot is private lands, I'm seeing a lot happening from local landowners and timber management companies.
fall gobbler and Vonfoust like this.

Plenty of scouting and good habitat makes for a great hunt.

Jeff
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 08:21 AM
The Man

Here is some interesting stats that shows the GC just doesn't care. From the posted GC report to the legislators, they only timbered 8000 acres last year, and we are supposed to take this useless agency seriously that they want to restore grouse habitat. This isn't just me pulling numbers out of thin air, this is right from horses mouth(a$$).
Quote:
In addition, another 8,000 acres of forested habitat was harvested to make room for young forestland, which benefits countless wildlife including our state bird the ruffed grouse.
Link for the full report, thanks Casey.
https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/50-...gislature.html

Plenty of scouting and good habitat makes for a great hunt.

Jeff
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 08:25 AM
The Man

I suspect there is a fear element within that more ES will create deer habitat.
fall gobbler likes this.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 08:40 AM

i wonder how many millions of dollars will it take to create the best habitat for every specie. how many years will it take, how much man power and who will pay for it ?

even with the best habitat for the grouse, what about the mosquitoes that are killing them ?

its like catching the runaway horse, putting it back in the barn with out a door. but....we absolutely need to take better care of our eco system for all of us.
Buckskin Dave and simoncool like this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 09:32 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post
i wonder how many millions of dollars will it take to create the best habitat for every specie. how many years will it take, how much man power and who will pay for it ?
A diverse habitat benefits all wildlife. It shouldn't cost anything, in fact, should be a financial boom. Even mismanaged to the highest level it shouldn't be any worst than break even.

Most of our land in Pa. is private. Do you think it's "costing" the landowners to have their property timbered? And, a high percentage of these landowners have their timber projects done with an aim towards wildlife habitat.
bohunr and Springer Rage like this.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 09:49 AM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post
...we absolutely need to take better care of our eco system for all of us.

That right there.
bohunr likes this.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-28-2020, 11:03 AM

our eco system is in trouble. uninhabited islands have trash on the shores. fish all over the world are full of toxins. read your PFBC rule book. it details how to clean the fish and what parts to toss into the garbage when you fillet your catch. every fish has a consumption warning.

diseases in our wildlife and domesticated food sources. chemicals in our water and milk. all kinds of cancers are on the rise. those with the power to fix this dont seem to care. it will take decades to fix this mess.
fall gobbler likes this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in