Maine grouse/woodcock hunt! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Davy Crockett
  • 2 Post By stackbarrel

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Maine grouse/woodcock hunt!

We hunted Maine in September for bear. While there we saw plenty of ruff and spruce grouse and a fair share of mudbats. We have 4 guys and 5 dogs heading back next week for a glorious 6 days of hunting!! While there the locals and my buddy, who is also our outfitter, said the bird numbers are the best they've seen in 7-8 years. Another friend was just there at the same camp the first week of the season and they got into the ruffs. Looking forward to another great week of bird hunting. I'll get some pics up when we get back.

In an age of universal lies, speaking the truth is a revolutionary act - George Orwell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 01:31 PM
The Man

Good luck on the hunt! Looking forward to some pics!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 01:40 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

good luck!

to warm barrels and cold noses
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 09:00 AM
New Arrival

Hey Stackbarrel - Where did you stay out, did you use a guide for the grouse hunt? I set up a trip a few years ago near Oxbow, and Im looking to go back, but it seems the lodge i stayed at is no longer in business
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'd be happy to share where we stayed and hunted but too many hunters were in the area this year. I have a friend who lives there all year since he graduated HS in '79. He was so ticked!! Never saw that many hunters especially during the 3rd week. Friday and Saturday were stupid numbers. We drove 2 hours out through the paper company property to get to the end of the logging road where he thought we'd be alone and there were already 3 trucks with dogs there. Problem seems to be in the fact that grouse populations are down in many states and too many organizations/guides/etc are spreading the word on where to find good numbers. Four of us went up, I hunted with 1 guy and we both had dogs. We hunted together Monday through Friday AM. Just the two of us put up 62 grouse and a handful of mudbats. The flight was not in until late Friday. I did score on 11/18 grouse and 1/1 on mudbat. We are going back again in October. I was remiss on posting some pics and I'll get some up soon.

In an age of universal lies, speaking the truth is a revolutionary act - George Orwell
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 01:24 PM

Ooohhh, nice, now you're not going to give away you're hunting spots. Now what are we supposed to do?
stackbarrel likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 09:15 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I was up Farmington Maine hunting black bear with hounds near Saddleback Mnt. about10 years ago and we drove around the logging roads with a strike dog and checking bait but there were a good number of Grouse then too. The guide I was with offered to take me hunting Grouse if I wanted to come back up but it never worked out that I could. I don't know but it seemed the Grouse looked quite a bit bigger up there.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackbarrel View Post
I'd be happy to share where we stayed and hunted but too many hunters were in the area this year. I have a friend who lives there all year since he graduated HS in '79. He was so ticked!! Never saw that many hunters especially during the 3rd week. Friday and Saturday were stupid numbers. We drove 2 hours out through the paper company property to get to the end of the logging road where he thought we'd be alone and there were already 3 trucks with dogs there. Problem seems to be in the fact that grouse populations are down in many states and too many organizations/guides/etc are spreading the word on where to find good numbers. Four of us went up, I hunted with 1 guy and we both had dogs. We hunted together Monday through Friday AM. Just the two of us put up 62 grouse and a handful of mudbats. The flight was not in until late Friday. I did score on 11/18 grouse and 1/1 on mudbat. We are going back again in October. I was remiss on posting some pics and I'll get some up soon.
Another major part of the problem is that there are too many people who get on these internet hunting sites and spill their guts about all the birds they saw in a particular area.
Or they have a successful hunt some place and post up a bunch of hero shots with the story. There are a lot of people that read these posts just looking for info on where to go, where the birds are, it's called 'internet scouting.' Then those who posted the info wonder why there were wall to wall hunters when they try to hunt the spot.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

NY state has some good numbers of grouse. It is much closer to me than ME/NH/VT, but I'll hunt where I can take my handgun and not be considered a criminal. That's just how I look at it. Other guys may not care, but I do.
Davy Crockett and limbhnger10 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page