Grouse hunting questions - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

In the game lands? What number, do you know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 01:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Hunt View Post

Above all enjoy the great sport you are pursuing as its may not last for ever as it has dropped so low in my area I have quit hunting the bird that gave the best memories over any years.

I too hunted grouse in Washington Co. in the heyday. 20 flushes in a mornings hunt without a dog were not uncommon. I still go back and hunt the old farms but can't remember the last flush.
Hornberg likes this.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 06:33 PM

20 flushs wow. I only ever flushed 2 shot them and went home. LOL sure miss those days. They would sometimes lets us leave work during the afternoon when we had heavy snows. One such day I sat there anxiously watching the snow fall outside my office window hoping any minute they would release us. Finally they did, I had a 45 minute drive to get home and all the way I kept going over in my mind all these different grape tangles I was going to hit before dark.

Finally, I got home rushed in the house threw on my grouse hunting attire and hit the snow covered yard crossed the back yard fence and walked about a hundred yards and shot two grouse.

When I do see a grouse in the local woods I feel depressed for the bird. Hope they come back someday by the numbers.

Great grouse memories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 07:40 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Tim Fries - SGL 110, enter from Mountain Road NW of Cabelas. Road goes to the top and is open during hunting season.

Take an older friend hunting or fishing - they're the reason we do what we do!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 07:45 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I was driving deer this past week with some friends in northern PA. We flushed a few grouse on every drive on the big mountains in the laurels, however, in one stretch between 2 of us we had over 12 flushes. It was an area that had been slash cut probably within the last 10 years and had a deer fence around it. The fence was taken down at some point and all of the trees were probably around an inch thick. Hopefully the virus or whatever that has impacted the population in the state doesn't hit there, or maybe this population of birds have developed an immunity to it. What a pleasant surprise, lit a fire in my belly to start grouse hunting again. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait till next year to get out, but I marked those places on my GPS!
Hornberg likes this.

Take an older friend hunting or fishing - they're the reason we do what we do!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page