Tired of the "Sad Really" post - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Tired of the "Sad Really" post

Been grouse hunting twice and not finding many birds..If anyone is finding birds in any numbers, please send me GPS coordinates (use my private e-mail so nobody else sees it) ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 04:36 PM
Sage

Did you get any locations, just curious..
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

That was a "tongue in cheek" thing...I really had no hopes of a reply..I will say however, the best grouse "hotspot" tips I have had over the years have come from deer hunters and guys putting drives on for bear...( Not other grouse hunters )..I have grouse hunted about 12-15 days this year, primarily in no. central Pa...Not a good year for us...Grouse numbers appear to be at a all time low..Averaging about 1 flush/hr. with good dogs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:07 AM
Frequent Contributor

grouse numbers in all the places I travel and explore in PA have been low and getting lower, for the past 20 yrs
Many SO called experts say they come and go in cycle's
SO I guess if you buy that, just hang in there , maybe in a few more yrs that cycle will bounce us back to a good yr??
I ain't holding my breath however
I say its poorer habitat that is why we are lower in numbers.grouse like deer need GOOD food and cover 365 days a yr, not just here and there thru out the yr

same goes for woodcock, numbers so low in my main area's I don't even shoot them anymore, OR grouse, feel like I might be killing the last generations if I do ??

as they say, the good old days are gone, now its???

best of luck to you, and YES I agree, doing Bear drives was always one of the best ways to flush lots of them without dogs LOL

Last edited by mrbb; 01-09-2017 at 10:10 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

The debate seems endless as to why the grouse numbers continue to go down..Personally I agree with the "grouse cycle" thing being a bunch of milarkey..maybe in the lake states..not Pa...I think grouse are declining because of a combination of things; increased predation, marginal cover and perhaps Avian diseases.
I hunted grouse in New Hampshire and northern Wisc. this past season. Bird numbers in New Hamshire where worse (if you can believe it) than Pa...With Wisc. being a little better..Woodcock numbers where good in Wisc. but I don't usually shoot them.
Hard to pin the low grouse numbers on lack of good habitat, especially in Wisc. where we hunted hundreds of acres of prime cover..averaging 2 birds/hr...not good.
I have a 6 year old setter thats probably the best grouse dog I have ever owned..and probably my last..
Maybe Trump will read this and bring back the grouse as well
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:59 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

some birds here.
Lat 40.271965 degrees
Lon -76.872036 degrees.

Serious note they are getting tougher to find.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:07 AM

One flush and hour would be phenomenal in my area. Heck 2 flushes in two hours and you are limited out, back home and watching football.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:51 AM
Frequent Contributor

I think too there is a lot of reason why numbers are down

but the main one I see in my area, does seem to be food, and I mean food all yr, all the huge area's of blue berry's and wild grapes and other fruits have all but disappeared over the past 15+ yrs.
add in all the houses being built in many prime locations, , in general so many area's of the state here in PA< where timbering hasn't been what it once was, mature forest being the norm, stagnant in new growth,(AKA fresh food, sunlight hitting the soil after leave cover builds)
, and like it or not, the BIG loss of so much farm land, yes Grouse are not farm birds, but many did visit them for easy meals

when I was a kid, all summer long I could go pick black berrys, blue berry's raspberry's, and I mean pick them by the 5 gallon bucket, every day for weeks on end, and sell them, without working too hard to find them
NOW< just finding a few to make a pie or have for a snack, isn't easy, all the old places there GONE from, and most places haven't been developed or anything, just grew up
I think this is a HUGE part of things

as just cause something looks like good cover, doesn't mean it really is healthy and good for wildlife to live 365/24/7

the huge amounts of food, we lost over the yrs is staggering if you look back at what once was there.

I also think the LACK of forest fires is a BIG part of loss of food,.cover and wildlife, again looking back as I was a kid, the local woods caught fire a few times a summer, and they let it burn a lot more before getting it out

NOW a spark flys and everyone with a blue light on there vehicle rushes to the fire as if there is a pot of gold there to steal and need to get to it first LOL
and this is all due to liability and fear of law suits, but all them fires did a ton of good for the forest and the habitat, and in return, the wildlife as well.
Fire is one of the greatest tools we have to help habitat and wildlife, and so seldom used, back yrs ago, controlled burns were VERY common by the game dept, but today there far and few and its all FEAR of being sued if a fire jumps a line

I don't think we will ever see the glory days again of small game, or deer numbers as we did yrs back,
less deer I'm fine with, but were loosing small game big time, minus squirrels and turkeys it seems.
Honesty, I think turkeys are part of the problem, they pick an area SO clean, they leave nothing behind
a success story I think that went too far, as there numbers increased, grouse and other went down if you noticed?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Where did all the wild grapes go ??...and yes I DO know what GOOD grouse cover looks like 365/24/7...and there still ain't NO grouse living there !!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:08 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich R. View Post
Where did all the wild grapes go ??...and yes I DO know what GOOD grouse cover looks like 365/24/7...and there still ain't NO grouse living there !!
just to be clear, I wasn't saying you didn';t know what good grouse cover looks like
I was saying that as many people don't
same with deer cover

I am a farmer and hear folks say all the time, deer live in haven on the farms, when farms DON"T have good food 365/24/7, they just have lots at times and then NONE more or less unless you have GOOD wooded cover near by, and this is JUST an example

so wasn't bashing and sorry if you felt I was, as it was not my intention

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page