Hunting at Raystown Lake Area - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
NUT
New Arrival

Hunting at Raystown Lake Area

We need to work together while using the Army Corp.land at Raystown Lake. I have been hunting these lands for over 30 years and since the bike trails have been put in I have seen and heard some things that are disturbing and scary. Bikers are out there during hunting seasons and not wearing any orange at all and to make the situation worse some wear the colors of the game being hunted, that was the scary part !!!!!!!!!
Now for the disturbing part. I have been told that some hunter took a crap right on the bike trail also someone left a gut pile right on the bike trail. Come on people that is just disgusting and wrong. We should all be thankful to the biker community for putting the trail system in, if you are using the trails to hunt you know how nice it is to walk on them and not be heard by the deer or turkey we look for. Last item, trash on the trails was unbelievable this buck season. Those candy wrappers and soda cans were not there during archery or turkey seasons. At our camp we try to bring more trash out of the woods then we took in. If we all do this we can clean this up real fast. Thank-you for reading about some of the concerns I have with some of the people that use the trails at Raystown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 10:51 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Hunting at Raystown Lake Area

I have for the past 20+yrs spent the month of Oct. at the lake fishing and hunting,its a delightful place that time of the year. I too used to hunt the areas where the bike trails have been placed. I no longer hunt there because bikers and hunters don't seem like a good safe mix,so I just found another place to hunt,the area is big enough that I don't have to hunt where the bikes are. It doesn't seem right that the bike trails were constructed in some prime hunting territory, but it is what it is.
I would sooner move to another area than take a chance on accidently shooting a biker that was in the line of fire that I couldn't see.
Bikes are pretty much locked into the trail system and would have difficult time biking elsewhere on the property during hunting season ,so I just leave them alone, that way I don't risk a confrontation.
I think we as hunters as much as we don't care for the bikes intrusion should try and live peaceable with those with different interests,and forms of recreation. Gut piles and human scat on the trails are uncalled for. After all I'm sure they (Bikers) view us hunters as intruders also. The property was purchased and improvements were made with the tax money of everyone not just a select few with special interest's. Lets all try our best to get along.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 03:00 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Well id agree about the fact there are some pretty low life people in the hunting community.
That said i also think at least some of the bikers enjoy an in your face attitude when it comes to hunters and hunting season. The PGC needs to take saftey into account and make it
mandantory that blaze orange be worn by every
body in those type places during the hunting seasons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 09:01 PM

Chances are that whoever left the deposits on the trail will not be a person reading these posts, just be careful out there...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 01:52 PM

It is a real shame hunters leave trash around, gives all of us a bad name. I find that completely un-excusable.

On the flip side- when they put that rails to trails in the PA Grand Canyon, it went from a pristine wilderness area to garbage/trash along the path and in the creek- and that is entirely attributable to slob bicyclists.

Personally- biking, hiking, fishing, hunting, whatever, there's less trash there than when I went in. And I'm schooling the next generation (my 6 and 8 year olds) to be the same way. When we go camping, when we pack up, their job is to scour the area picking up any/all trash (ours or others) and we take it out. That's how we roll

BH

When was the last time you heard somebody say "Go ahead, it's a free country"?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page