Question about ROW - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Question about ROW

I have a camp on shared private lane with 17 other camps. It's my undestanding, and I need to go to the courthouse to verify, that all the property owners are granted the use of the lane through an 8' from the centerline ROW. There has never been a maintenance agreement as far as the upkeep or snowplowing of the lane. Until recently everything was fine with all property owners being cordial to one another for the most part. The one parcel of land was sold last summer. For over 35 years there has been an 8" culvert pipe part way down the lane that caught any water before it built up speed going down the lane and kept it from washing out over the years. The new property owner just happens to own the land where the outlet of the culvert pipe is. Shortly after taking ownership he filled the culvert pipe with rocks and expanding spray foam so that it would prevent any water from exiting the pipe. I cleaned it out and all was well, for a day or two and repeat. This time he filled the inlet with rocks and covered the outlet with a considerable amount of dirt, then all the posted signs went up. I didn't touch it again. Now with a plugged pipe the water was obviously backing up and running down the center of the lane which was causing some serious erosion on other landowners properties. I tried contacting the planning commission, which sent me to conservation district, which sent me to the township, which sent me to DEP, which sent me back to the township. The township says its not legal but they can't do anythign about it. Basically what it amounts to is they won't do anything to a local because he is only effecting camp owners. Everyone said its not legal to cause erosion from stormwater runoff on anothers land but nobody will take responsibility and make something happen. So as I type this the pipe is plugged full of ice and the entire lane is several inches thick of ice beyond it. I plowed the lane a few days ago to our camp and now the knucklehead put up signs that we can't plow the snow onto his property. I'm not quite sure how to access my camp or plow the lane without having a snowbank somewhere. Is it legal for me, IF the actual ROW is 8' from the centerline, to plow snow into the edge of the ROW on his side of the lane? He has his signs up right at the edge of the lane, which is not a full 16' wide. All this in addition to roping off his entire property with rope, flagging and logs along the boundary. Anyone have any advice as to how to handle this or just let it go?

Iím a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 01:58 AM
Sage

Re: Question about ROW

Did you try talking to him?

Itís funny until somebody gets hurt, then itís hilarious
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yes, but I would have been just as far ahead to talk to the rock wall he built along the lane.

Iím a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 02:24 AM

That stinks.... Nothing worse than a grumpy neighbor.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc 21
Did you try talking to him?
He does not sound like someone you can talk to. He sounds like a nut job.

I had a problem with a guy behind me who built a new house. His grading caused flooding to a number of homes around him. We resolved the problem after one of the state agencies intervened and explained that you cannot reroute water and flood other properties.

Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 11:06 AM
Sage

Maybe if all 17 camp owners complain to the township individually they will take notice and you'll get some action. Nothing beats persistence. Good luck.

P.S. If that don't work, keep plowing the snow in front of his driveway. If the township won't act on your behalf, they probably won't act on his behalf if he complains.

post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 11:13 AM
The Man

Why would you seek advice from the Internet? Talk to a lawyer experienced in land disputes, for heaven's sake....
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 11:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by winchesterbob
Why would you seek advice from the Internet? Talk to a lawyer experienced in land disputes, for heaven's sake....
Why? Because there are a lot of camp owners on here who may have good advice for him. Kinda like the good advice you gave him.

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 11:37 AM
The Man

I'm sure those camp owners with "good" advice can assist him in solving his problem, too, huh?
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Why wouldn't good advice help him??

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page