gas well going in - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

gas well going in

Just received a certified letter that a new gas well will be drilled 1000+ feet from my property line.
You guys that have gone through this, what can I expect?
We spend most of our off time during the Summer at camp for the quiet of a mountain top escape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 02:06 AM
Sage

Re: gas well going in

Depending on the terrain, anywhere from a month to two months for site prep (earth moving, access road, pad building, etc). Longer, if it's on a steep hillside requiring extra efforts, or some other terrain issues are involved.

One well a coupla miles from my camp took over four months of prep work, because they cut/filled and hauled in hundreds of triaxle loads of fill to make level pad areas. Dang thing looks like a mountain from the south, due to the huge dirt bank below the pads. It's probably 400 feet high.

Once the road/pads are constructed and all the environmental safeguards are in place, then it's a wait for drilling rig availablility. Once they start drilling, may be there for weeks or well over a month.

Then the real commotion comes. Pump trucks, dozens and dozens of frack fluid container trailers being hauled in, dozens and dozens of tankers hauling in the frack fluid, piping installed and then they're ready to frack the well.

Sounds like a coupla dozen 747s at full throttle once they start fracking, day and night until they're done.

Other than that, not much to it?

Beyond all that, the biggest complaint I heard when the well was put in down the road from camp (other than all the noise), was from the folks who live up the hill from the well. When they began flaring-off the gas while recovering the frack fluid, it drove 'em nuts having the sky light up intermittently during the night. They eventually slept in a back bedroom while that was going on.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

My camp sits on the top of the rise. Proposed access road is 500 feet on the down slope. Guess I can expect low gear screaming to reach my road, then Jake breake rumble on the down slope. I was also told the 24 hour operation will light up the sky with lights and an ocassional gas burn off that is loud. Is that correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 02:28 AM

you can see the sites for MILES around here on the horizon in the night sky...

one they are hauling in water still..looks to be 24/7 now..

the newest one they have finished the site prep...

the first one is across the pike and i wasnt here till fall so i didnt see or hear it go in...

ive heard they can be LOUD...and yes..when they have a flame shooting...its BRIGHT..again you can see it for miles...but, by that time you'll be used to the light lol...

the water truck traffic can be heavy..atleast it looks heavy at the site across the pike..anytime i look over there there looks to be atleast 2 trucks on the hill..
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

We have one right next to us. It was very busy for awhile. They would start bulldozing about 4 in the morning. I managed to get them to not start till 6 am with a call to our township supervisor who it was his dads property they put it on.
My biggest complaint was all the people who would stop in to see the well. All trespassing on private property

3 years later nothing really goes on. Someone comes and checks it every couple days. The one real benefit is they plow the road leading to the well and other than my driveway or the main rd it's the only place I can walk our dog.

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 12:26 PM
New Arrival

I'm in the same boat... Pad construction starting in April about 100 yards from our property line and 200 yards from my best deer stand. I'm kinda bummed about it, but hopefully my family will start seeing some royalty checks in the near future. We were told that they are proposing up to 6 wells on the pad and it will be 3 years before the pipeline is connected. It's gonna be a long 3 years !
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 12:54 PM

Tater, i forgot about that perk..the roads! One went in a SGLs I grew up hunting and hunted through college...haven't been back since I discovered it...the first mile of road was sooooo much nicer than its ever been..then all of the sudden went back to normal right after their newly pushed in access road...
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 01:00 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

They are drilling 11 wells on the pad down the road from me. Been here for four months now. The drilling isn,t as loud as the Fracking process. We won't get a lot of water truck traffic. They have a holding pond built about a mile from the pad. Coming down the mountain 2 years ago you could see 4 different wells burning off.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 01:37 PM

treerat...where in wyo cty?..i live close to the border in Luzerne cty and have a cabin in Laceyville.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 01:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Northern part of Tunkhannock. We have wells showing up everywhere. On my road alone we have two completed one still being drilled and a new pad going in. On my 15 minute drive to work I can see Five rigs drilling.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page