Camp TV - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Camp TV

Does anyone have any experience with the digital antenna's? I'm looking for something for camp without messing with dish network,etc. I'm two miles from Black Forrest Inn and am not even sure if one of these will even work. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 10:34 PM

Re: Camp TV

We tried one at our camp and got nothing. Warren Co. in the ANF. Direct TV is what we have now just the basic service. We have our service suspended after deer season and restart it in March. Saves getting a bill for the few months we don't get up much.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 10:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I did a lot of research and decided on the following 2 items and they work great. I mounted it inside my attic so falling limbs and stuff don't mess with it.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-Suburb...-Mast/10828410
http://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-Antenn...ifier/14554631
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014, 12:17 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

locate your site on google maps and get the GPS coordinates and plug them into TVfool.com nd see what could be available.

I get Phila [70 mi] w/ a clear stream 2 [shoulda got the CS4] w/ a wyneguard amp and I get 8 - 10 stations depending on weather and leaf cover using a converter box. 70% of the year I can get a few stations, at least at night.

My cousin is around the corner and a good 80 - 100 feet lower and he gets no signal trying the CS4 so antenna height is important when you plug into tvfool.

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to pry them out of the developments!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I tried the TVfool and according to that it doesn't look too promising.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 11:50 PM

I have Directv at home and they added my camp to my existing account for $6 per month. No games or deception to get that rate. Just told em what I wanted and they did it. Shortly after I had it installed at camp for free i heard they started charging $50 for the camp installs but it's still a pretty good deal IMHO. Reception is great and it used to be next to worthless at my place.

Life Member of NRA, Tall Tine outfitters, and life member of UBP.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btbowhunter56
I have Directv at home and they added my camp to my existing account for $6 per month. No games or deception to get that rate. Just told em what I wanted and they did it. Shortly after I had it installed at camp for free i heard they started charging $50 for the camp installs but it's still a pretty good deal IMHO. Reception is great and it used to be next to worthless at my place.
how long ago did you get it hooked up? I tried to get my camp on the same account but they said that they don't do that. I have to pay for two monthly accounts, one for each residence. 60$ a month for my camp even if i'm not there. I suspend it from Dec-Mar so I only pay for 9 months.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 02:52 AM
The Man

I got dish network this year and most enjoyable week ever spent. Deal was great something like 30.00 for first year and goes up some second year. THen following year I will put in vacation mode other 9 months and only pay less than 1/2.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallie1
Does anyone have any experience with the digital antenna's? I'm looking for something for camp without messing with dish network,etc. I'm two miles from Black Forrest Inn and am not even sure if one of these will even work. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks
How high is your camp. If you are near Lock Haven I bet you will have a tough time getting anything but the State College PBS station unless you are on a hill.
Forget the idea of a digital tv antenna, that is marketing B-C. Your reception will depend on altitude and antenna gain. Get the biggest most element outside antenna you can afford with a in line RF amplifier mounted at the antenna. Maybe if you are high enough you can get Elmira or Binghampton, maybe WNEP and the other Wilkes Barre stations. If you are down in a valley, good luck.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wash Co_Archer
Quote:
Originally Posted by btbowhunter56
how long ago did you get it hooked up? I tried to get my camp on the same account but they said that they don't do that. I have to pay for two monthly accounts, one for each residence. 60$ a month for my camp even if i'm not there. I suspend it from Dec-Mar so I only pay for 9 months.
It's been a couple of years. I'm pretty sure that I have talked to others on here who got it done the same way as I did. I think it may be a matter of who you talk to. It also probably helped that I was changing from cable when they set it up that way for me. I'm sure it's not a request that any of their reps deal with very often. I'd give em a call and tell em that you're thinking of cancelling them to go with their competitors..... betcha they'll figure it out!

Life Member of NRA, Tall Tine outfitters, and life member of UBP.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page