Pellet stove Recommendation - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Pellet stove Recommendation

Looking to get a pellet stove....(free standing)
Recommendations: looking to heat 2200 - 2400 sq ft.
1. Brand
2. pellet brand
(+/- of your brand)

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 07:59 PM
Part of the Community

Re: Pellet stove Recommendation

I've got a Harman and like it a lot. I've been using Hamer's Hot Ones for pellets. Burn hotter and cleaner than anything else I've found. $245/ton locally.

Be good, and you will be lonesome.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 11:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Get a Harman, you won't regret it! As for pellets, you have to experiment a little but in general the Harman stoves so good thry tend to burn any brand of pellet well. Always burn hardwood pellets and not softwoods or hardwood/softwood blends. I really like burning the Turman brand hardwood pellets in my Harman but the EZ Heat pellets also burn well for me.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 12:44 AM
Part of the Community

I had a harman 25th anniversary addition in our old house before we moved. I miss it. Fill it up and it's good for 14-16 hours.
I burned pa pellets (potter county) last. Worked well.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 11:27 AM
The Man

I have a Harman, works great. I know people who bought cheaper stoves, and they seem to be extremely fussy about what pellet they will burn.
I use Insta Heat , hardwood pellets....made in Addison NY.

Your never to old to learn something stupid
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 11:59 AM
Part of the Community

I have two Harman and I love both of them. I also had a Quadra Fire and it was ok. It definitely didn't burn as well as the Harmans. I burn O'Malley pellets. I don't think they are the best out there, but when I put the stove in The gentleman who put it in said for the price I was paying you couldn't buy a better pellet and gain that much more performance. The local lumber store does a early buy in May for $205 a ton with free delivery if you buy two tons. Can't beat that.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 01:26 PM
Frequent Contributor

Another Harman here. Model PP38 and love it!! I heat my 1600 square foot house with it. My dad (has two), and uncle one. Mine is ten years old dads and uncles are about 15 and 18. never had a problem. As for pellets here in south west Pa. I use hard wood pellets either Green team made in PA. or summerhill made in Maryland.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 01:47 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I've been burning a Whitfield for eight years and haven't had any issues. Definitely buy one which self starts. Pellets: NEVER NEVER EVER buy Freedom. They were so bad I had to buy a second ton of another brand and mix them in to get rid of them. I've also noticed brand availability is regional. I live in SEPA and I see StoveChow in HomeDepot(4.50 per bag). I think Lignetics are one of the best(Sears and CBM sell them 5.50 per bag pre-season). I've also used premium pellets from woodpellets.com with really good success. If you have storage area, or bulk buy with some neighbors you can save a few bucks. Who may have to tweek the auger speed and draft based on brand. Quality of pellets comes with the higher pricing. The lower priced pellets generally have more dust, ash, and burn at a lower temp.
Good luck.

Johnny B
GSP-Briar Dakota
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 06:36 PM
Frequent Contributor

Had a Harman insert for several years, never any problems. Used Lignetics pellets. Sold the insert and bought a gas one. Less work. Good luck!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 07:17 PM

I bought a Harman p38 8 yrs ago when I bought my house and heated the first season w/the forced hot air oil heat and couldn't stand to bear another season of burning oil as primary heat! house is 1100 sq ft rancher w/stove in the basement and stair well coming up in center of the house (big advantage) only problem I ever had was a blown fuse on the control panel which was no prob to take care of myself.

for pellets I burn barefoot brand pellets made here in pa in Bradford co. when I first stared burning them about 6 years ago after 2 years of experimenting w/other brands they burned hotter and cleaner than any other brand I had tried (tried 6 or so brands) but I have noticed this yr and last that they arnt the same as when I first started using them. My wifes gram also burns barefoot and has said she has noticed the same diminished quality this year. might be time to start experimenting again.

I burn about 2 1/2 tons a year and that equals out to +/- $500/season. I have filled my oil tank once in five years and we pretty much only burn oil during the early fall and early spring when it is to hot during the day for a fire but to cool at night to not have heat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page