Tractor at camp? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Tractor at camp?

How many of you guys (and gals) have a tractor that stays at camp? I've been considering a lil unit with a bucket and preferably a ho (and maybe even a mower deck) to supplement the riding mower up there. Looked at all brands but the Mahindra has caught my eye recently.

Are we at camp yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 09:19 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Tractor at camp?

we bought one for our camp this summer with a mower deck, rototiller & bucket,John Deere it was the best priced tractor, we got prices for JD, Kabuta,new Holland & kioti.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 09:19 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

We have one, ancient junk. Part of the fun is getting it to run when we do food plots. Upside is, its paid for. The new Mahindra's are very good, I have run a medium sized one, no complaints. A whopper of an expense though to buy any new one. The New Holland line is good too, former Fords. New JD are 15% more money for the same thing. The bucket is a great idea, especially for firewood and spreading stones each spring.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 09:34 PM

It would take an awful lot of constant use to justify the price of a new tractor(IMO only) when you can rent one very reasonable from places like Bestline equipment, etc. on a weekend or weekly basis. It'd be sweet owning one but we rent a brush hog every year to clear old logging roads & food plot edges. On the plus side of renting, its nice not having the possibility of theft or vandalism while absence from camp.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

price wise, the Mahindra's aren't too bad. I do like the easy on and off of the attachments on the JD, but the tag is a bit higher. I haven't looked into New Holland, that thats a good idea!

Are we at camp yet?
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 12:26 AM
Sage

Could never justify spending thousands for a new compact w/loader, just to sit at camp. And ain't interested in lugging it back and forth.

So I bought an IH 184 several years ago for up at camp. Unlike earlier tractors in the Cub series that don't have much power, this one is rated at 18HP.

Basically it's the last Cub numbered LoBoy they ever made in that series and is red/white/black like a proper IH, not yellow/white.

Mine has the creeper gear (hi/lo), a three point hitch, split "steering" brakes and front snow blade, in addition to the 5' belly mower. With lo range capability, that thing chews up vegetation very well.

Started converting old pasture from briars and goldenrods into actual clover patches years ago, with the mower. And have done some grading with the three point hitch. Have used it to fetch dead deer out of the woods and firewood, with a carryall on the hitch. Considering the tractor only cost $2500, close enough.

Only drawback was the wide turf tires, which didn't work worth a darn on muddy slopes. Bought an old "regular" cub for peanuts, that had new ag tires on it and swapped them onto the 184. Regular little billy goat now, with ag tires.

Put a 5' sickle bar mower on the Cub ($250) and use that to mow along the long road frontage at camp. Although it looks ridiculous with those wide turf tires on it.

If we need a "real" tractor at camp, my cousin brings his IH 656 diesel over. Last spring his son decided to enlarge the food plot and pestered his dad into bringing over the 656 and four bottom plow. Cousin said it took him longer to put the plow on and drive across the valley and back, than it did to work up the plot.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

it sure is good to have family in the area.....my closest relative is 60 miles away!

Are we at camp yet?
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 09:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Send a message via AIM to 59Willys

After 30 yrs.of HARD use at home, Taking my 39 ford 9n to camp this year.I replace the old girl with a newer one. 52 8n.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 11:14 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have an older Kubota L35. It sees lots of use in my construction business and is incredibly useful at home too, hauling/loading firewood, mowing, plowing snow...

I'm going to replace it with a new one and it will be going to camp when I do.

It would be hard for me to justify the cost of a new one just for camp.

Eh...wot?
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 02:00 AM
Part of the Community

We have a 1950 ford red belly. Just bought a new brush hog for it for the coming spring. We also just purchased a Big Dog mowers 0 turn commercial mower for the camp. Cutting the grass at 10 mph should be fun this year

Parker Tornado

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page