wood stove heat - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

wood stove heat

Questions for you guys that heat your camp with wood.
1 how big is you stove? Mine is a caladeur looks like a corner model but does not hold large logs
2 how big an area do you heat? my camp is 32x24 with a loft and 2 bedrooms.
3 do you have a back up heat? me a couple small electric heaters
4 how do you regulate and can your fire burn all day/night while all is hunting or sleeping?

The camp is new and the old one had a furnace and some bsckup heaters. I am just looking for a little fire knowledge. Have a woodburner at home but it is not primary heat. Do I need a bigger fire box? I do have ceiling fan 3 to move the heat and the ceiling is lofted. Do I just have to heat the place and open windows? Looking for opinions. thanks

live laugh love and hunt hard!

Forest county got to love it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 07:09 PM
The Man

Re: wood stove heat

I have a Vermont Castings. My camp is 920 Sq. ft, and yes it heats the whole place, sometimes too much. We can load wood in at 5 am, throttle it way down, and hunt all day and come in and 1 piece of wood brings it right back to life. The stove fits 20 in. logs. Yes I have baseboard hot water/ oil heat as my backup, but it is rarely used.

Camp life,it don't get much better!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 07:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

my camp is 24x24 on a crawlspace and insulated really well. my airtight stove has about a 18" box and a blower. my camp is kind of chopped up with little rooms so it takes a bit to heat it from dead cold but my stove will do it within 1/2 day or so. i use pelonis heater in the far end to take the chill out quicker. i've been there in single digit temps and it does it fine. i use almost exclusively white oak (thanks gypsy moths) and it will hold a fire all night if i stock it during my mid night bathroom break. it will also hold it all day when i'm out hunting if i'm lucky but its just hot coals. i throw some small stuff on it and open the draft and its cranking in no time.

i highly recommend the blower option if you have electric.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 01:45 PM
Part of the Community

My stove is a Fisher. Approx. 24" x 28" air control knobs on the doors. This stove rocks! I burn wood and coal (it's lined with fire brick). Camp's main room is 16' x 24' with a sleep loft. Main bedroom is 12' x 16". Back rooms, bed room, mud room and bathroom are 8' x 36' total. I have a portable electric baseboard heater in the main bedroom. Oil heaters in the bathroom and back bedroom (the enclosed kind that look like old fashioned radiators. Two un vented propane heaters in main room for a quick warm up but haven't used them for two years. PS I bought a non electric fan which is activated by the heat of the stove. I place same on the stove top and it blows on the pipe circulating more warmth in the camp. I use my ceiling fan to blow the hot air down. Last Friday Sat Sun and Mon my daughter and friends used the camp and were toasty despite the frigid temps. We've said this before but we should hook up as we're just up/down the road from each other.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 03:37 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

My cabin is approx 24 x 40. We have one large living room at one end, kitchen with a loft in the middle, then a bedroom and bathroom in the front. The cabin was built up(added additions) along the way to get to today. So, I have a wall between the kitchen and living room, and a wall between the kitchen and bedroom area. Floors not well insulated, nor the crawl space above the bedroom. The prior owner used styrofoam which is useless. Anyway, we have electric baseboard throughout, but rarely used do to cost. The kitchen has a 60kBTU propane heater which rocks. It's perfect in the spring and fall when you need just a little heat to knock off the chill. The living room has a large, old wood stove. We use this for additional heat during the winter and works really well. It doesn't have much air control for dampening(I'm thinking of upgrading). Also, we replaced a wood stove with the propane unit simply because folks would have a few beers after a long day, and nobody bothered to wake up in the middle of the night to keep the fire going. But everyone would complain the camp was too cold in the morning.

Johnny B
GSP-Briar Dakota
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 01:55 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezer
My cabin is approx 24 x 40. We have one large living room at one end, kitchen with a loft in the middle, then a bedroom and bathroom in the front. The cabin was built up(added additions) along the way to get to today. So, I have a wall between the kitchen and living room, and a wall between the kitchen and bedroom area. Floors not well insulated, nor the crawl space above the bedroom. The prior owner used styrofoam which is useless. Anyway, we have electric baseboard throughout, but rarely used do to cost. The kitchen has a 60kBTU propane heater which rocks. It's perfect in the spring and fall when you need just a little heat to knock off the chill. The living room has a large, old wood stove. We use this for additional heat during the winter and works really well. It doesn't have much air control for dampening(I'm thinking of upgrading). Also, we replaced a wood stove with the propane unit simply because folks would have a few beers after a long day, and nobody bothered to wake up in the middle of the night to keep the fire going. But everyone would complain the camp was too cold in the morning.
Maybe have the guys take shifts based on seniority.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 10:04 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I miss the old wood stove at camp which we replaced with propane due to insurance challenges. As I type this I am enjoying the heat from my stove located in the great room of my house. The original home plans were a gas fireplace, which I converted to the free standing stove because of the enjoyment I receive from the stove.
Alright, it also has something to do with the fact that I enjoy cutting wood and have ample acreage of "free" wood.

I miss my hunting partner
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 02:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

We have a Napoleon wood stove and it's awesome. It doesn't take logs that over 16Ē, but when you close the damper on stove (not the chimney) you can put one nice size log in and it will burn all day. We also have 4 big gaslights that throw a lot of heat.
My camp is a little over 1,000 sq'. The downstairs is all open... not a single wall and the ceilings are 9'.
Upstairs, we also have a propane gas heater upstairs, which gets used only when we arrive to help knock the cold out. The upstairs is broken into 4 rooms plus a bathroom. Smack dab in the middle of the hallway upstairs is the double walled stainless chimney, which heats the upstairs. I put a log in right before bed and its coals are still burning in the morning.
The entire camp is very well insulated and tyveked.
When it comes to camp you have to remember when you arrive you are trying to heat up every single item inside the camp, which takes some time. Also, until you get a good bed of coals, which radiates the true heat, most of your heat is going up and out of the chimney.
In the attic I have a 55 gallon drum, which gravity feeds the water to the camp. I built an insulated box around it and I have a vent going from the upstairs ceiling into the box to keep the drum from freezing up when it gets in the single digits.
1. Burns logs no bigger then 16"
2. A little over 1,000 sq' with a very open floor plan.
3. Gas lights and a small propane heater upstairs.
4. If it gets too hot we open a window or two, but if it's cold out 1 good log will get you through the night while you sleep.
The biggest key is getting and keeping hot coals!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page