How was camp? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

How was camp?

Left for camp after Thanksgiving dinner. I wanted to get there and get all the food stored before all 16 guys came up. This was the first year I had to do it all. Everything went smoothly and I even managed to get lucky and tagged a 6 point on Monday at 12:30. I even made it back to the cabin to get dinner ready. The buck I shot was the leanest deer i ever shot. I hope it was due to the rut and not the lack of food. Saw quite a few bear tracks and a i can't believe how many bobcat tracks there were. We shot 2 bucks for 16 guys. 8 guys didn't see a single deer. Alot of empty camps this year. How did camp run for you guys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 03:13 AM
Frequent Contributor

Send a message via AIM to 41 MagFan
Re: How was camp?

Congrats on the buck Ken S. Where is your camp located?
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 03:20 AM
Sage

I didn't go because my camp isn't complete and I'm alone and there are more deer where I live than there are up there. Someday, when my son is older and my camp is more livable, I might hunt up there.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 11:20 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

This year was memorable for me. My father's best bud [84 yrs young] sounded iffy according to what his wife told my mom; but he showed up!

While preparing for a solo camp, I did prepare meals I could share or have as hot lunch leftovers so we had enough dinner and lunch and he brings cereal for his breakfast.

While he sleeps in; I was out the door at 05:00 and managed to shoot my largest buck ever.

He later admitted that he feels this may have been his last trip to deer camp so I am glad it ended on a high note!

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to pry them out of the developments!
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 01:00 PM

Awesome though we didn't have a buck killed out of camp for the first time in 10 years. There was a little more people in camp this year but the shooting was so so.

Any time at camp for hunting season is GREAT!

live laugh love and hunt hard!

Forest county got to love it!
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 01:18 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Camp in the Big Woods of Southern Potter County was great. The hunting was terrible. 4 of us hunted hard for 4 long, cold days and didn't see a deer. Hate to say it, but we decided that our camp is gonna call it quits for deer hunting for a few years. We are just gonna fish for trout and do some turkey hunting. The trout fishing is always good. Although, the PFBC will probably see this and allow fisherman to keep 36 trout a day just to ruin that too.

Do your Sportin' in Wharton
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 01:57 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

hey, I hunted the Horton Run area out of Conrad, seen very little sign, and only 4 deer in 3 days . seen 7 turkey toms together and a lot of other sign, also cut bear tracks back in Gilly's hollow. Now seems to me if turkey and bear were in the area, there must be some feed there, so I cant buy into the theory that the deer left because of no feed, as I've heard suggested by others this season. I enjoyed camp with family, this was my 40th season there. PIGSTY , I checked out your camp, really looks nice, so glad you all got it, you've done the property proud !! Well get together sometime.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 03:03 PM
Frequent Contributor

We hunted this past Saturday, Monday, and Tuesday. I saw a total of four deer and my buddy saw none. I hunted hard, him..not so much. We had a great time though, as we always do.

"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest" Paul Simon.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 05:45 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

camp was great as always. deer, now that is a different story. 4 of us hunted SF on monday and saw nothing and heard little shooting even though there were a lot of guys in the woods. for the first time, i saw no drag marks back to parking area and heard of none taken there. tuesday 2 of us hunted the same general area and saw nothing. wednesday i trekked an hours walk before daylight to the middle of prime country and saw nothing. thursday i hunted a different ridge and saw nothing. friday i hunted same place as monday until 2 and saw nothing. sick of the SF situation, on saturday my 2 boys and i hunted a little private ground we used to hunt and i saw 3 doe and got one and my one son saw about 10 and got one and the other son saw about 7 and missed one. so to sum it up, camp is always wonderful but this has been the worst year on record for deer sightings in 40 years. heading back down tomorrow night with the boys to try and see if by some miracle we see some deer. i don't mind not getting a deer, but 5 days of hunting dawn to dark and seeing nothing really is disappointing. better than working though.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 07:16 PM
The Man

Awesome camp in 3b Bradford county. My 17 yr old killed a 6 pt, my 14 yr old a 7 point, I killed an 8 point, and my buddy killed a 5 point. We also had 2 misses on good bucks.

Camp life,it don't get much better!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page