New Camp - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

New Camp

Building a new camp next year. Demolishing the old one. Getting everything in order. Talked to the building and sewage people. In Jenks Twnshp you need to put in a holding tank for your camp or outhouse before you can rebuild. Found a contractor who erects shells w/ amish crew. Any tips , ideas, ect on this undertaking would be appreciated. The main part of the camp has some history to it. It was the Ice house in Iron city. Just past Pigeon on rt 66. It was moved in 1947. Like most camps. It was added on to and done so in a manner which wasn't made to stand the test of time.lol....

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 06:27 PM
Sage

Re: New Camp

My best advice is to check in on the work often......
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2013, 10:10 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

X2!!!!!!! we are having a camp shell built by an amish crew right now, and I have been very disappointed so far. PM me if you have any further questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 02:39 AM
Sage

The shell is the easiest part to build. I've had my shell up for almost ten years. Now, plumbing, wiring, walls and ceiling and floors? That's where I'm muddling along.

My advice: Get the whole thing done as quickly as possible before life situations and schedules and interest levels change or your camp may be a shell forever like mine.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 05:27 PM

My wifes Aunt and Uncle have the Amish do a lot of things. I can say some of the work don't look real professional but they have held up good. One thing I always hear them say. You don't assume <span style="font-weight: bold">anything</span> is part of the deal. They name them a price and if they didn't specify everything <span style="font-weight: bold">to the T</span> that they want the Amish consider it an extra. A lot of good Amish but a lot of them think us "English" are rich. I had one help put up out stainless chimeny just because I wanted to be sure it is safe. One thing I can tell you is I could have done it myself easily and pretty much did do a lot of it myself and him helping. Anyhow I was talking to him when I took him home and he thought we all made $20 an hour and I know he has no idea how much insurance and taxes cost us. They really have no idea how much of our income that takes and how much it does cost us to live with vehicles and modern conveniences. Heck it is rare for anyone around here to make that much unless they have some kind of skilled profession.

I would make sure you get it all in writing.

You canít get them if you ainít in the woods!!
<span style="font-weight: bold">GOD BLESS</span>
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2013, 05:47 PM

[quote=Danesdad]The shell is the easiest part to build. I've had my shell up for almost ten years. Now, plumbing, wiring, walls and ceiling and floors? That's where I'm muddling along.

You need to get a bunch of buddies for a big burp and fart weekend and get some work done. You'd be surprised how much work you can get done for a keg of beer and some food.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 12:26 PM

With the help of family and friends we were able to frame up our camp in a week but all the prep work was already taken care of. Now we are inside working. I wish you luck in finding some one who will just get it done for you! I told Huntmaster of a Amish builder and he said that he is not getting the job done makes me feel like a toad for sure.

live laugh love and hunt hard!

Forest county got to love it!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Thank you for the advice all ! My builder is a regular contractor with an amish crew. So, I may be in luck. Doing alot of research into things. The big decision will be a vault for the outhouse or a holding tank for the camp.

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 06:12 AM
Sage

[QUOTE=Roscoe62]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danesdad
The shell is the easiest part to build. I've had my shell up for almost ten years. Now, plumbing, wiring, walls and ceiling and floors? That's where I'm muddling along.

You need to get a bunch of buddies for a big burp and fart weekend and get some work done. You'd be surprised how much work you can get done for a keg of beer and some food.
you'd be surprised at how few friends I have. ever notice how much I'm on here?

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page